excel macro + file vault = access problems

S

southside

I had my Excel macro that massages quicken report data working just jim_dandy... then I decided to lock down my home directory with file vault... hadn't run that Excel macro til tonight when I found that it can't find an Excel spreadsheet that it needs to open - and that spreadsheet is there and I can manually open it with no problems... I am guessing it is a permission problem, but I am not sure which user the macro runs as to give that user access to the file vault protected file... if that really is the problem... appreciate any help you can provide...

thanks!,
SouthSide

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you cannot get permissions to the file from the Admin user (first user) you should be able to as off - line only as root which has absolute authority on the system (be careful) in Finder > Applications > Utilities and drom there either netinfo manager or keychain access should allow you the necessary changes

OP
S

southside

witeshark said:
If you cannot get permissions to the file from the Admin user (first user) you should be able to as off - line only as root which has absolute authority on the system (be careful) in Finder > Applications > Utilities and drom there either netinfo manager or keychain access should allow you the necessary changes

WhiteShark - many thanks for the reply... when I am running as the first user I am able to open the spreadsheet manually... it is when I run the Excel macro that tries to open the spreadsheet that it is unable to do it... I am thinking that even though I ran Excel, the macro that it runs is not running as the same privilege level as my account - or something to that affect... otherwise can't quite figure out why the change - and I am assuming that file vault has something to do with it...

SouthSide

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Ok, I'm not familiar with Excel, so I may have to make guesses firstly that Excel macro is running from a directory that is not allowed permissions. But maybe you can turn file vault off for a bit and see if it works then

OP
S

southside

turned file vault off

whiteshark - yeah, ended up throwing in the towel due to lack of time to really figure out the problem.... turned off file vault and the macro once again worked OK... read about too many problems that folks were having with file vault and permissions, etc - after they had responded YES to a dialog box when logging off (as I had done) asking if they wanted to reclaim space used by file vault... still think it is all about Excel running as a built-in system user versus me when it is running and a macro is trying to open a file... when I have more time maybe I will set up a test account that I don't mind losing, and will move the file to another folder and see if it works...

later and many thanks!,
SouthSide

PS for the record, Bruce Springsteen ROCKS!!!! :) :D ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.