I Hate Apple pt.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well the refurbed cd mbp came in the mail yesterday. But the case is bent, so I'm sending it back. I'll be purchasing a 2.16 c2d new, hopefully with a decent discount from a friend.

At least I found a good desktop pic:
Picture1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If you hate Apple so much, why are you buying a Mac?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
OK, I really hope I'm not aiming for some more abuse here, but I may try another refurb. I think I may try and get a 2.33 c2d. If it comes messed up, I'll send it back yet again, but this time it'll go to be fixed instead of returned. Anything think that this is a wise choice since that computer can be had for $1999 where the new 2.16 is $1799 with a student discount?

Anyone think I'm crazy and should just get the 2.16?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
IMHO used computers are like used cars, I just don't like them.

You won't get any abuse from me on this one. I understand what you are trying to do and why. Your logic seems sound.

Reaction score
If I was in the market for a laptop, I'd buy only new, never used. A desktop, maybe, but never a laptop. "Refurbished" means used. Apple could have used "Preowned," but that's been appropriated by Honest Ed and his Real Kleen Cars. And I'd wait until the deadline to buy the extended warranty — read overpriced insurance policy — is almost up, then get the best one possible, after having it examined by 2,605 lawyers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB DDR, 160GB 7200rpm SATA, Super Drive
ever thought of

OK, I really hope I'm not aiming for some more abuse here, but I may try another refurb. I think I may try and get a 2.33 c2d. If it comes messed up, I'll send it back yet again, but this time it'll go to be fixed instead of returned. Anything think that this is a wise choice since that computer can be had for $1999 where the new 2.16 is $1799 with a student discount?

EBAY???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm with baggss and Brown on this one - Don't know, if I'm spending $2k on a new computer, I want it to be new. Apple has those machines back for some reason. I don't really think there are very many people that buy and return perfectly good computers. There seem to be a lot of people that buy used and refurb, but I'd rather take my chances being the first to open the box with most computer hardware.

Reaction score
I tooled around with the refurb idea to save money, but between limited time at home and hoping the delivery showed up in that short time frame (just 3 days next week) and the possibility that it might have some sort of problem, I just decided to make the 1 hr drive to the Apple Store and get a brand new one.

Reaction score
If you need this computer for work, you should consider a new machine. If your studio demands you to work with Final Cut, you should ask them for financial aid - really depends on your company's policiy/structure etc.

But I wouldn't invest in a second-hand for my work - it's like buying a second-hand violin when you're Yehudi Menuhin.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If you need this computer for work, you should consider a new machine. If your studio demands you to work with Final Cut, you should ask them for financial aid - really depends on your company's policiy/structure etc.

But I wouldn't invest in a second-hand for my work - it's like buying a second-hand violin when you're Yehudi Menuhin.

It's going to be a recording studio, so it's mainly logic pro, but It's a joint venture between me and another person. I'm going to end up picking up the laptop and he's getting the 30" display and putting money forwards for other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2G

Don't most violinists play "second-hand" instruments? Stradivarius hasn't many any new axes in ages!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11
Don't most violinists play "second-hand" instruments? Stradivarius hasn't many any new axes in ages!

Yeah, he's right. Usually, the older a violin is (provided it is in decent shape) the more value it has, and usually better tone quality etc. Therefore, getting a "second-hand" violin can be a good thing. But, even better is to be 3rd-hand, 4th-hand, or 5th-hand! :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9

Well, the 2.33 has a slighty faster processor, and comes with an extra GB of RAM. It's just something you have to weigh for yourself as everyone's opinions on buying used are different.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem buying a used (or refurbished) machine. If the product is designed well, any abuse that doesn't yield cosmetic imperfections shouldn't be an issue. There's always the chance that it took a bump or got dropped. But don't forget that these things get bumped around anyways, even when buying a new one. They get thrown in crates on boats and shipped overseas, thrown on trucks and driven across the country, ect. If the machine went through anything much worse than what a new one goes through on its way to the Apple store, you'd see evidence of that by looking at it. If you've ever seen a truck get loaded up at a shipping center, or how pallettes of things get banged around with a fork-lift, or how shipping containers get raised and lowered onto boats, you know that they take a good amount of abuse even before being booted up for the first time.

Not to mention, you have a year-long warantee with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. I buy most big purchases used, it lets me afford a higher quality product at a lower price point. Saving $500, is saving $500. It's a chunk of change if you ask me.

-Nick

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yeah, I think I'll go with the 2.33 refurb and if it's bruised up, I'll have them fix it instead of returning it. The 2.16 was just a Core Duo and I was debating on wether or not to keep it in the first place. I decided to until I opened it up and saw the problem(s). So it made the decision easier. If the 2.33 comes with any problems I'll just call them up and send it off to have what ever is bad taken care of, if it comes with a defect. I'll save a lot more in the long run as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Just keep in mind that if a defect is "within specs" they won't do anything for you...and if you return it there's a restocking fee.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Just keep in mind that if a defect is "within specs" they won't do anything for you...and if you return it there's a restocking fee.

True?

You would think that they would fix anything wrong with it as their refurb policy states "The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components " After saying that all defective parts are replaced, the machine is cleaned, and it goes through QA inspection.

I wonder is a bent casing, allowing dust in, and a possibly defective screen would pass the final QA...wonder if that's "within specs"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.