• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

I hate the waiting game

Reaction score
The popular opinion on this site is to go buy a computer/gadget when you need it and not worry about when the next version is coming. Well, I am somewhat of a techie and want to have the newest thing. I want to wait for leopard before buying a macbook(october seems so far away though) and I want a new ipod to come out before i get one of those. The current ipod lacks in the video department for both battery and screen size. I wish apple would let a little more info out.

Reaction score
Join the club! I would get the computer now and wait for a better video iPod.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd rather have a stable, mature operating system - one that still beats the heck out of Vista, even with a few more miles on it. Tiger really isn't that old - even if it's not bleeding edge.

Reaction score
I'm new to apple

Was going to make the change, waiting patiently and the news today!

Not sure apple is for me, looks like they care more about the iphone, Job's is getting hungry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
They just want to get their products working as well as possible before they are released. Whether we like it or not, the iPhone exists and Apple will support it. Would iPhone users be happy if their updates are delayed later on because Apple concentrated on OSX? I doubt it. And why do you say Jobs is getting hungry, when the iPhone is likely to bring in less revenue than the Leopard update?

If you prefer Microsoft's business practices to Apples, releasing unfinished, buggy software with known security flaws, then go ahead. I'll wait for Leopard to be finished.

Reaction score
so why concentrate on iphone when it brings in less revenue

otherwise that is a lie, like the fact that they are on schedual, blah blah blah.

apple, why discredit microsoft when you can't keep your own promises

they are playing a funny game....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so why concentrate on iphone when it brings in less revenue

Because they want to produce a phone. Businesses expand. They are concentrating on the iPhone as releasing a brand new product will get them more attention than updating an existing one. iPhone has a launch date, Leopard has never had an official launch DATE.

otherwise that is a lie, like the fact that they are on schedual, blah blah blah.

What lies? Companies don't generally lie to their shareholders as it makes them angry. Finishing the code for the iPhone is taking longer than expected - things happens. It's taken me weeks longer than I expected to finish my latest project, that doesn't make me a liar.

apple, why discredit microsoft when you can't keep your own promises

They don't discredit Microsoft, that I've seen, and they didn't promise anything.

they are playing a funny game....

I really don't know what that means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Because they want to produce a phone. Businesses expand.

Which is fair enough if Apple had saturated their potential computer sales. But they have a lot more potential to steal market share from Windows.

This phone gets as much criticism as it gets hype. Industry analysts have even said drop it now before it's too late.

We want more people to use Apple computers right? a phone is just an appliance most of the time, not many of us run critical applications on them. It is more in our interests to have decent software on the computer.

OP
G
Reaction score
Im gonna wait till june to get a macbook both to save up for it and in hopes they upgrade it after WWDC. Ill wait for the next ipod as well.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which is fair enough if Apple had saturated their potential computer sales. But they have a lot more potential to steal market share from Windows.

This phone gets as much criticism as it gets hype. Industry analysts have even said drop it now before it's too late.

We want more people to use Apple computers right? a phone is just an appliance most of the time, not many of us run critical applications on them. It is more in our interests to have decent software on the computer.

Successful companies diversify, and that's exactly what Apple is and has been doing. Consumer electronics and computers are merging into combined, multipurpose devices - this concept is known as "digital convergence". Apple gave up fighting the battle for the desktop to concentrate on the overall war which is digital convergence. This is exactly why they dropped the term 'Computer' from their name. Apple is doing what it does best, taking complicated devices like Smartphones, digital media players and media hubs and making them easy to use and refined. By doing this, they will in-turn attract new customers on the desktop side and continue to gain market share. What you're witnessing here is a very well-planned and carefully executed strategy. Apple can't win and won't fight the business desktop war, so they've concentrated on the home user market.

Let's all step back for a moment and think about this carefully. What things does Vista do that you can't do with OS X (Tiger)? Is Tiger really that dated (2 years old)? Do you see the kind of press and excitement that the iPhone has generated and the potential for a new, and very lucrative market? What would you do if you needed to focus your resources?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone will generate Mac sales just as the iPod does, and vice versa. I bought an iPod after my experience with my iMac, and I replaced a 35Gb player to do it. And I don't think Apple were due to conquer the desktop market in June, either.

It's not as if our Tiger Macs will suddenly stop working in June, let's get a grip.

Let's all step back for a moment and think about this carefully. What things does Vista do that you can't do with OS X (Tiger)? Is Tiger really that dated (2 years old)? Do you see the kind of press and excitement that the iPhone has generated and the potential for a new, and very lucrative market? What would you do if you needed to focus your resources?

Absolutely Right(tm). Tiger is not outdated just as Windows XP isn't. I'll probably wait until at least next year before upgrading to Leopard.

Reaction score
Because they want to produce a phone. Businesses expand. They are concentrating on the iPhone as releasing a brand new product will get them more attention than updating an existing one. iPhone has a launch date, Leopard has never had an official launch DATE.

What lies? Companies don't generally lie to their shareholders as it makes them angry. Finishing the code for the iPhone is taking longer than expected - things happens. It's taken me weeks longer than I expected to finish my latest project, that doesn't make me a liar.

They don't discredit Microsoft, that I've seen, and they didn't promise anything.

I really don't know what that means.

Yes and forget to mention that they announced they are on schedule for a spring release. Ok maybe a delay of a month or two, but nooooo 4 long months!

Reaction score
I am part of the market share that Apple would like to increase in the computer market.

Maybe all the current users are becuase they live in the wonderfull world of mac, but as a potential ner user this is not impressive.

I'm not happy, neither are any of the other potential converts i've come across!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and forget to mention that they announced they are on schedule for a spring release. Ok maybe a delay of a month or two, but nooooo 4 long months!

At the point they claimed they were on for a Spring release, I'm sure they were, but *subsequent* delays have forced them to move the release date, in order to make sure as many bugs are removed from Leopard as possible (you are obviously not a programmer).

Let's take a look at the Vista release schedule, shall we? Three years late, rewritten at least twice (based on Windows Server, then based on Windows XP SP2) with numerous technologies *removed from it* (WinFS? New GUI API?) because they didn't work, and it's *still* a bug-ridden heap that introduces viruses when you choose an animated mouse pointer.

If you think delaying Leopard is a bad move (you'd fit in nicely over on Apple Insider, they are hysterical too), sell your Mac and buy a Vista machine. I'm more than happy to wait, as there isn't anything I can't do now that Leopard will allow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am part of the market share that Apple would like to increase in the computer market.

Maybe all the current users are becuase they live in the wonderfull world of mac, but as a potential ner user this is not impressive.

I'm not happy, neither are any of the other potential converts i've come across!

Indeed, Apple's previous attempts at mobile products haven't always been successful. The Newton was ground breaking but didn't succeed, the iPhone isn't all that ground breaking (the OS and UI are good, comms hardware is weak) and so stands less chance.

I'm not convinced by Apple TV, why call it TV when it has no TiVo like functionality?

The iPod is the only non-computer product which has really taken off for Apple. The main reason is people don't want a complicated interface on the move and Apple are good at stripping things down to the essentials and making the features work well.

I don't think Microsoft would risk Windows/Office delays to get an XBox out of the door. These are their main sources of income.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

So you'll stick to Windows instead?!? Just because of a three month delay? Good luck. Perhaps Windows 7 won't have the same three year delay as Vista did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think Microsoft would risk Windows/Office delays to get an XBox out of the door. These are their main sources of income.

Microsoft have the resources to develop both concurrently, Apple obviously doesn't.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just out of curiosity, what was/were the "killer" features you were waiting for? I've yet to see anything announced that Leopard will have that can't be easily grafted onto Tiger via the aftermarket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Microsoft have the resources to develop both concurrently, Apple obviously doesn't.

True, but why harm your core business to for an unproven product which will initially only be available in the US on one provider?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.