Shift Click Doesnt Work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Okay I'm baffled.

If I'm in an application and go to File > Open I can click on one file, hold down the shift key and click on another file and it will select all the files in between.

In Finder though when I do this it just select the individual files i.e. if I have 5 files in a folder and I shift click the 1st and 5th ONLY the first and 5th are selected which is exactly the same thing that happens if I use the Apple key instead.

Huh?

How can I get shift click working again in Finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It's doing its default behavior.

Shift click in list view does what you're wanting. Shift click in icon view selects only the folders you click.

Drag a box around the bulk of the items you want and Shift click any stragglers.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Aha. You are absolutely correct. Cheers for that.

Hmm, not really a fan of that, can't see why it's not possible to shift click in icon view. ****, if Windows can do it.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
"...if Windows can do it..."

Not to sound defensive, but...

No.

You're used to the way Windows works, that doesn't mean it's the *right* way to do it.

When I'm forced to work on Windows, the Shift thing gets me every time and I find it counter-intuitive that I can't Shift-click a column and only select the vertical icons, same with a row. The fact that it selects every icon up until the second one clicked is stupid to me.

Windows can also get viri and lock up all the time, do you want Mac OS X to do that too?

Reaction score
surfwax, ctrl+click on windows preforms the shift+click function on mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.