Final Cut Pro 4.0 vs. FCP 4.0 Academic

M

marategr

My wife can purchase Final Cut Pro using the education discount, but it seems that the apple.com website lists it as Final Cut Pro 4.0 academic

Does anyone know if there is a difference between Final Cut Pro 4.0 and Final Cut Pro 4.0 academic?

I want to get the full version and would not want to save a few bucks and miss out on features.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Final Cut Pro academic is a full version. I have version 3 and looking into upgrading to version 4.0. The only problem I have had was getting the right patch update to get it to version 3.0.4. Apple had three versions of the patch updater.

I think I have the same question you have. Since I currently have a valid license for version 3 and I and not in school at this time, do I have to buy a full version of 4.0 or can I buy an update to get to version 4.0?

So like you I am wondering the difference between the academic and the retail version.

OP
W

Wapa18

i think the difference is that you're just not supposed to use the academic version to make money, as in a business. at least that is what i have been led to believe.

OP
O

oocpromo

FCP Academic VS Retail

That is correct, I bought the academic version and apple told me that the only difference is that you are not supposed to make profit off of the program. I also had no problem upgrading to 3.0.4 and recently upgraded to FCP 4 HD

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Can I use a retail upgrade version of Final Cut Pro to upgrade a academic version of Final Cut Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
oops too late on that one. I just thought that Apple was being nice. ooh well. small play videos for school isn't a big one right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.