Howling on my macbook

Reaction score
I am very new to mac's and I have had a howling noise on my mac twice now since the weekend, its been really loud but I don't know what it means, can anyone enlighten me please?

Many Thanks

Danielle

Reaction score
more a sound from a fan that goes on and spins really fast or something from your speakers and maybe a sound from a new app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
That would be the CPU fan, which increases speed when there are processor intensive thingees going, thus the noise. It shouldn't be on all the time (like if you're just browsing the 'net, or doing email type things) but every now and then it'll fire up when something make the CPU work. Usually Safari for some reason, or if I'm encoding audio.

Perfectly normal unless it's on all the time. If it is on all the time, go in your Applications folder and under the Utilities folder there will be a program called Activity Monitor. Launch that and it should tell you what application is working your CPU the most.

OP
Laydee Danielle
Reaction score
It was a howling from a widget I have called Flappie apparently it howls like a wolf when its night time, thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
oh, that's funny. :)

I saw that widget, but didn't download it - glad I didn't - I didn't know it HOWLS!!

Glad you figured it out. Welcome, and enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Lol Awesome! I want my Macbook to howl!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I am very new to mac's and I have had a howling noise on my mac twice now since the weekend, its been really loud but I don't know what it means, can anyone enlighten me please?

Many Thanks

Danielle

Check your firmware version, issues have been fixed in the monitoring code of older Macbooks which affects the fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Although as proven before, Its not the fans gilesjuk...

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
If they have Hitachi (used to be IBM) drives then they make silly noises. Kinda like a cat meowing or a rusty sign swinging. The heads move off the disk when idle to stop damage.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
If they have Hitachi (used to be IBM) drives then they make silly noises. Kinda like a cat meowing or a rusty sign swinging. The heads move off the disk when idle to stop damage.

what TS was refering to was that you seemed to not have read the rest of the thread - she figured out what it was. an app that actually howled. not hardware. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.