iMac newbie (soon to be)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPod (30gb w/video)
Guys,

I will be switching the 20-inch iMac in the VERY near future. However, do I: a)wait for the new releases in June and get one of those, b)just get a 20-inch iMac NOW (plus RAM?), or, c)wait until the release and get the 20-inch then (hope for a price reduction).

Any opinions?

Cheers.

Dax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You'd feel a bit miffed if Leopard got delayed until August say though :)

I always say, if you really want one, buy now. It's not as if Tiger isn't brilliant as it is!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm more concerned with the updates to the 20-inch more than the OS. Are major changes in the appearance and performance expected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would get the imac now and you can always upgrade to leopard once the bugs have been settled out with it.

you can hold back for these things for ever. at some point you have to jump in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 2 GB DDR2 Ram GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB 120 GB HDD
I would personally hold off, unless you really need it now. It's hard waiting but you would save yourself a lil under 100 bucks for the OS upgrade and the possibility that the line will be upgraded.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I NEED to get the extra GB of RAM for the 20-inch? I ask because funds are a bit tight. Or, should I settle for the 17-inch with 2 GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Buy now, why wait? Besides, getting Leopard on day one is for enthusiasts and risk takers only. It's always prudent to wait a month or so for the 1st bugs to get ironed out.

There is always something better around the corner, but OS X can be bought for $129, which is not much to pay for getting your machine 3 months earlier.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers fellas. I'll head down to the store this WE and pick me up a fancy shiny new 20-inch iMac. Do I NEED to get the extra 1 GB of RAM? Also, are prices of the old iMacs expected to drop before the release of the new ones in June?

Reaction score
You don't NEED the extra gig of RAM. If money is tight, buy it stock. You can upgrade the RAM yourself in a year. The RAM will also be cheaper a year from now. The 20" screen is worth the extra cost as opposed to the 17" model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
er.. 24" iMac
You can only do the upgrades if you buy online, you don't really need to but its always nice.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers. I test drove the 20-inch on the WE and was all giddy afterwards. tempted to hold out until June to see what comes along though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.