Soon to be Mac daddy:part deux

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
Getting closer to purchasing my Daughter's computer for college. (See previous thread here.) Harvard has some great discounts for students so it looks like a black Macbook with a 2.0ghz processor, 2GB of ram, and a 120GB HD will be on the way soon. My question today is: Should we wait for the anticipated release of the next OS? I'm not sure how these things work on a Mac. If we buy a Macbook now with Tiger on it, will we get to upgrade to Leopard, or should I wait until after Leopard comes out to buy? Also, does OpenOffice have a Mac version of their software that will work with word documents? Thanks for your input.

biguglyman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you buy a Mac within 30 days of the release of a new OS, Apple will give you the new OS for free. You have to fill out a form and send it to them, they will send you the discs. Expect 10.5 in June, plan accordingly.

Reaction score
baggss hit it on the head for the OS, but I wanna add that neooffice is from the same people that does open office, and works the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Also, does OpenOffice have a Mac version of their software that will work with word documents? Thanks for your input.

NeoOffice would be the version of OpenOffice for the Mac that you want; works fine with word documents. There is a version of OpenOffice for the Mac that isn't NeoOffice, but it requires X11, and you don't wanna go there.

Oh yeah, it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Congrats, your daughter's MacBook is identical to mine. I've had mine for 3 months now and love it to death. Also, I don't know what software Harvard requires for papers, but I use MS Office for Mac. That's what's recommended for my college at least. It's completely compatible with MS Office on Windows. Any Word document you type on a PC will be fully compatible with Mac, and vice versa. Congrats again.

OP
biguglyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
Thanks. I was under the impression that openoffice files were compatible with Microsoft Office also. Right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
baggss hit it on the head for the OS, but I wanna add that neooffice is from the same people that does open office, and works the same.

The same if not better =) 100% Compatiable.

OP
biguglyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
She can get a sweet student deal on Microsoft Office from school, but ain't nothin' sweeter thatn FREE!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.