Wanting to switch

Reaction score
Well I would really like to make the switch from Windows XP. I'm kinda stuck at a crossroads, because of the prices of the MacBooks.

I would really like a MacBook, but because I only have a budget of £500, I'm afraid I can't buy one.

Unless I buy a refurbished one? Can anyone recommend any web sites for refurbished Mac's? I live in the UK btw.

I would only like the Mac for browsing internet, checking emails, music, and coding.

Now i could get a laptop for under £500 with Vista installed, but after using Mac's at my college, I find they suit my needs more. And I'm too lazy to defrag, and scan for viruses and spyware on a daily basis.

Hopefully someone can help me out, actually I know someone will because your not busy dealing with viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Have you looked at apples site? Did you try ebay? have you thought about a used powerbook? Any used mac from the past two years would still rock the house!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I believe the cheapest refurb MacBook is £599 for a Core Duo 1.86GHz with 512mb RAM and a Combo drive (last time I checked).

You should be able to get one for around £500 on eBay, it's best to go and see the laptop first and give cash on collection if you are happy to avoid scams.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.
Yup wicker_man, seen the exact one for £550.
Im purchasing it within the next two weeks.

Just liek to say this is a great forum, once I get my Mac I'll be back looking for tips etc.

Once again, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Glad you got that sorted Tom. Hello and welcome to Mac-Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 2 GB DDR2 Ram GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB 120 GB HDD
Good to see you found something that would fit your budget. Have fun and enjoy it! :)

Reaction score
I know your on a budget, but you may want look at going up to the next step in the macbook. The low end one doesn't burn DVD's it only reads them. Also 512mb's of ram is a bit on the low side, and it comes with 2 256 chips so if you want to upgrade in the future you will have to replace both. Just a few things to consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Unfortunately Macs are expensive and it's the price you pay for a well designed laptop and peace of mind.

I have sold off a lot of PC hardware and settled on a Mac Mini and a Macbook.

£500 isn't much of a budget for a decent laptop. Even the lowest spec Macbook is still a premium product compared to a low end PC laptop.

I would try and raise more money, it's a purchase you won't regret.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 80GB, 1GB, Superdrive
i got a refurb one last week from the Mac site. very happy with it. i paid £599 for one with a superdrive, 80Gb and 1GB.

so far eveything seems great BUT the in-built speakers sound a bit crappy (fuzzy/crackly bass when turned up and can bareyl hear anything when the volume control is turned halfway up) - i need to compare this to my friend's mac when i next see her, just to check they sound as they should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.