Converting VB projects to RealBASIC

F

FieldDoc

I am attempting to port a game that is written in VB to the mac using RB (I have the authors permission and access to the source code to do so).

I thought I would be able to use VBPC to convert the VB files and then just correct the errors that were found - how wrong was I!

VBPC doesn't seem to work at all! It doesn't crash or anything, it says the conversion is complete and a RB .xml file is generated but when I load it into RB - the project window just displays 'app' and that is completely empty! This is despite the fact that the RB file appears to be >1 Mb big!

Am I doing something very wrong or am I just expecting too much?

On a similar note, is there anyway to read a VB file in text format - if this is possible, then I could just manually convert the code as I don't have access to a windows machine to use VB.

Regards,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try using pico in the terminal. at the command line type pico (filename) and paste the text in and now you can edit it

OP
P

PowerMacX

FieldDoc said:
On a similar note, is there anyway to read a VB file in text format - if this is possible, then I could just manually convert the code as I don't have access to a windows machine to use VB.

Actually, they are plain text files :) just open any .frm or .bas on ANY mac text editor (rename the file as .txt if it refuses to open it). The first part describes all the controls, the code comes at the end (try a search for OPTION EXPLICIT, if you use it on VB: it would be the first line of your code).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.