Newbie questions

Tee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black
Hi All!

Ok, so I probably have been a macbook owner for about a month. This is actually my first computer ever. I've always just had access to computers via work, school and roommates,etc. Saying all that, there's a lot of things that are new to me. I've been up and running for a month but I'm not sure if I'm set up properly (internet, security, firewall, etc. ) My internet access is password protected. I've recently just realized my firewall wasn't on so I just enabled that and I realized I was using my aiport but didn't install my software til yesterday and I'm not sure if I configured my airport correctly. Can someone help out a newbie? I love my mac and I think I was soo excited to get up and running I didn't do all the research I needed. Thank you in advance and thanks for your patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Hi Tee and welcome to Mac-Forums. You've come to a great place!

Mac's pretty much do all the work when it comes to set-up. Are you having any problems or does everything seem to be working well? There are plenty of people who can help you here but you need to be more specific about what you think you're needing to know.
Is there a reason you think you configured your airport wrong?

Ask away, people here are very patient and always willing to help a noobie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
If you posted this message using your mac, then you did everything right.

OP
T

Tee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black
Hi Carol247,

Everything seems to be working ok. I think it's just the paranoia in me that wants everything to be perfectly set-up, plus for the airport set-up, I sorta guessed on some of the drop down menus. Sorry I wasn't specific enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Hey, that's okay. If it's working, it's working! Sometimes if people have been accustomed to using Windows they expect some problems or a bit of a hard time with installations. Not so with the Mac.
Just do what you want on it and if you have any problems or questions (there are no dumb ones!) you know where to come.

Someone here may want to help with your airport set-up but sounds like you did okay.

Again, welcome and come back often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.