Pc to Mac & Vice Versa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro Leopard 2.0GB RAM 2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo 250GB HDD
Really quick question. You guys know how you were able to connect a powerbook to a macbook and transfere your files that way? Is it possible to connect an XP to a Macbook with a firewire cable. Because i want to transfere some movie files and document folder from my XP to my macbook.

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm not sure if firewire works, I believe that it has to be two macs, but I've done it this way and it works very well.

Reaction score
Yes, you can - and without networking.

I have done it by putting my MacBook in "Taget Disk" mode and just connecting it to my PC via Firewire.

As I have MacDrive 7, the MacBook just appears as other external hard drive on my PC.

OP
mimi8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats awesome!! thanks guys, I will try that soon, when i get home.
I have been hearing about Crossover cable, and it is way cheaper than firewire cables. Does anyone know how the speeds are (is it faster or slower)? I know firewire is supposed to be faster than USB but how about the crossover cable.

I apologize for soo many questions, just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A "crossover" cable is an Ethernet (network) cable that's wired differently than a standard cable.

You do not need crossover cables for Macs, as the Mac figures out which "end" they're operating on.

My suggestions would be to use a firewire cable in the method that either Rambaud or I recommended.

OP
mimi8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay so i am finally at home, and i tried it Caribiner's way with CuteFTP and for some reasons it kept saying "The remote host actively refused the attempt to connect to it" and now on my Macbook, in my network status, under "Built-in Firewire" and "Direct Connect Firewire" (which is the network location, i created) it says, "The cable is not plugged in. ***?

so i figure i try the TargetDisk Mode method, and i would see the Hardrive on my XP as "Drive G:/" but when i click on it, it says "Please insert a disk into drive G:"

I am soo confused and slightly ******, i would say the firewire cable is not working? but it is brand new... and my computer detected it but couldn't access it...
Can someone please help me with this??? I really need to backup my desktop XP some reliable way (please... router is too slow for downloading 40GB files..) so i could perform the system recovery soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would actually vouch for using ethernet. I transferred around 20GB of music in just a couple of minutes from my PC to my Macbook.

On your PC, setup the sharing options of the folder/drive you want to copy stuff from. Then connect the two computers together using an ethernet cable. Then find the IP address of the PC. On the Mac, at the top bar click on Go --> Connect to Server. Then type in smb://x.x.x.x (where the x's are your PC's IP address). You should now be able to access the shared folder/drive. Just drag the files over to your Mac and you should be set :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I did mine this way. If you're on a wireless network, then make sure they're both on one network. In your Windows computer, right click the drive you want to share and click "Sharing and Security". In the "Network Sharing and Security" section, click the "Share this folder on the network" checkbox. You may also click "Allow network users to change my files" if you're the only person in your network, or if you prefer.

In your MacBook, open the finder and click the "Network" tab in the sidebar. Wait for your Windows computer name to appear/your name and double click it. It will ask for your password, I think the password in your Windows account (I don't know because my MacBook and my Windows have the same password). When you have entered it, you will be allowed to access your Windows hard drive using your Mac... but make sure the Windows computer is turned on.

To share the Mac hard drive to your Windows PC, open System Preferences and click "Sharing" in the Internet and Network section. Check the "Windows File Sharing" in the Services tab. Then click the "Accounts" button to enable the selected users in your network to access your HD. Then below that, there will be a text that says "Windows users can access your computer at (\\IP Address\your short name). Type that address in Windows Explorer from your PC and wait a while. Your Mac is now accessible from your Windows PC. :mac:

Hope I helped.

Reaction score
so i figure i try the TargetDisk Mode method, and i would see the Hardrive on my XP as "Drive G:/" but when i click on it, it says "Please insert a disk into drive G:"

I am soo confused and slightly ******, i would say the firewire cable is not working? but it is brand new... and my computer detected it but couldn't access it...
Can someone please help me with this??? I really need to backup my desktop XP some reliable way (please... router is too slow for downloading 40GB files..) so i could perform the system recovery soon.

You need a program like MacDrive on your PC for it to recognise your MacBook's hard drive as it is likley to be formatted HFS+ (not FAT32 or NTFS as for Windows).

OP
mimi8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gosh guys, you all have been very helpful, wirelessly works... i just didn't want to transfer 60GB of files on a wireless network... umm i found a method that was easy and worked, i transfered the file in like 4 hrs.. I will post the link below, for anyone that comes across this.

http://lifehacker.com/software/netw...-one-wire-network-ip-over-firewire-173973.php

The guide has pics and was very elaborated on.. no room for confusion.

Again thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to do a transfer from MAC to PC and have read all of the above. I think I have an issue with the following....when I look at my dropdown menu in Network settings and try to find "Built In Firewire", it is not there. All I have are Internal Modem, Bluetooth, Built in Ethernet, and Airport. The MAC came with a fire wire cable and has a port on the side, so I dont know why this is happening. PLEASE HELP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.