Finally - a way to CUT and paste files

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One minor annoyance I've run across since switching is the inability to actually CUT and then paste a file as a means to relocate it. Sure, you can right-click, COPY and then paste, but then you've got two copies of the file.

I subscribe to MacWorld's Mac Gems newsletter and ran into this article today.

This pretty much solves all of my problems - worth a look if you're in the habit of cutting and pasting files on Windows.

By the way, if you're a new switcher, I HIGHLY recommend a MacWorld subscription. Every issue is chock full of tips and articles about utilities like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
While that's a great little tip, you have to admit that it's a bit of a pain to have to resort to a third-party solution just for a simple cut and paste. Looks like Windows wins this round :(

I know all about spring loaded folders, but it can be a pain when you have to delve deep into folders...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
If moving the file any distance I just open another finder window (command N)
Have the first window open at the file, the second open where you want to put it.
Drag and drop rules :)

I left cutting & pasting files with the full screen windows... Back on the windows box a couple of years ago

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
cut and paste with files on windows always made me nervous.

of course i've been restoring lost files for hundreds of coworkers for years, so that could be part of my problem. ;)

i don't miss cut and paste, but that's a good find cwa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I never use the feature on Windows, so it's sort of transparent to me....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Cut and Paste is NOT a good way to work! Drag the file to your desktop, go where you need to go, put the file from your desktop to the new location. You have no cut and pasted in a non-potentialy-districtive way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
cut and paste with files on windows always made me nervous.

of course i've been restoring lost files for hundreds of coworkers for years, so that could be part of my problem. ;)

i don't miss cut and paste, but that's a good find cwa.

Cut and Paste is NOT a good way to work! Drag the file to your desktop, go where you need to go, put the file from your desktop to the new location. You have no cut and pasted in a non-potentialy-districtive way.

This is Apple's stance, and I don't think it'll change. Apple did not "accidentally" forget to enable Cut when it was putting the Copy and Paste file operations in the Finder. It's a deliberate omission on their part, to protect n00bs at the potential expense of power users. For such users, this tip will be useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
All you have to do is hold down command when you drag and drop the file(s). The green + sign goes away letting you know the file will be MOVED and not COPIED.

Reaction score
All you have to do is hold down command when you drag and drop the file(s). The green + sign goes away letting you know the file will be MOVED and not COPIED.

Thanks giulio. This is a great tip. I am new to the Mac and I am trying to do as much as I can to learn the Mac way of doing things. Plus I am resistant to adding any 3rd party solutions until I am sure there is not away to do it on the Mac natively.

But, I must admit it is annoying when at first there does not seem to be a an equivalent way to do someting on the Mac that sometimes (not all) the first response on this forum is "because you should not be doing things that way" or "you should not work that way". I mean come on, people actualy believe that there is no use for "Cut-n-Paste" of a file.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I wil defintely use it.

Reaction score
Cut and paste can be dangerous. I used to find it handy, but it keeps you on tenterhooks while your file is "cut", it being in he "nowhere" of your computer, until you paste it. A file is easily lost if you for some reason forget to paste it in a place and then copy text to your clipboard.

Drag and Drop is just safer. But each to his own.

Reaction score
Cut and paste can be dangerous. I used to find it handy, but it keeps you on tenterhooks while your file is "cut", it being in he "nowhere" of your computer, until you paste it. A file is easily lost if you for some reason forget to paste it in a place and then copy text to your clipboard.

Drag and Drop is just safer. But each to his own.

Maybe I missed part of this. Are you talking about "cut and paste" being dangerous on the Mac or Windows? or both. On windows, when you do a cut it does not go anywere until you actually paste it. So if you cut a file in folder A and then forget to paste it to folder B then nothing happens it just stays in folder A. Which at that point there is no danger.

Now fo the Mac, I could not find a cut option (again I am new) but the "move" feature described above with the command-click action is just like drag-and-drop but it actually moves the file instead of copying it which at times is a nice feature. And I don't see any way the file could get lost in limbo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
One minor annoyance I've run across since switching is the inability to actually CUT and then paste a file as a means to relocate it. Sure, you can right-click, COPY and then paste, but then you've got two copies of the file.

This pretty much solves all of my problems - worth a look if you're in the habit of cutting and pasting files on Windows.

By the way, if you're a new switcher, I HIGHLY recommend a MacWorld subscription. Every issue is chock full of tips and articles about utilities like this.

i subscribe to macworld here in the uk

http://www.macworld.co.uk/

very helpful magazine and good software on the cd;s now and then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Wonderful! Just wonderful! I have *always* missed this capability, and have had to do the "drag to desktop, navigate to destination, drag back" route. I have never liked that - I always thought file cut n paste was a rather elegant and intuitive idea.

Thanks again cwa, and bonus "virtual rep" in addition to the real rep I have just given you!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

When I click+Drag a file it is MOVED by default (not copied) with NO green plus +....

To COPY a file I Click+OPTION, and the Green Plus + Appears, letting me know it will be COPIED (not moved).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I never liked the cut-and-paste/copy-and-paste metaphor in Windows, and neither did many others it seems as Microsoft added the Move to and Copy to menu items at some point in the past.

Its tricky because I don't really know how I would like it to be done; but I use spring-loaded folders, or if there's room for confusion I'll just open two Finder windows.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow - I would have never thought there would be so much controversy surrounding this function ;) It's just something I'm so used to doing, particularly when moving data around servers at work, that's it's just become second nature to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can use it easily enough, but I've never liked the concept of cutting and pasting files. It's not like the clipboard in, say, Word because a "cut" file doesn't disappear, so the user is presented with two different responses to the same function between applications. But then Windows Consistency Edition hasn't been written yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2GHz CD 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD
I'm hooked on Drag and Drop!, no cutting and pasting for me.

Reaction score
Am I not correct in saying that if "Cut & Paste" makes your file disappear into the ether in Windows, then "Undo Edit" will retrieve it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I not correct in saying that if "Cut & Paste" makes your file disappear into the ether in Windows, then "Undo Edit" will retrieve it?

Well the file won't actually move until you Paste it - cutting it just greys out it's icon, but if it does disappear then in theory Edit|Undo should bring it back from wherever it ended up, yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.