New to the world of Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Hey everyone,

I got my Macbook on Monday so i've used it for about 4 days now. I've always used Windows and never used a Mac before, so it was my first time using one.

I'm 16, so i still go to school. At school we have PC's and old Macs which i never get to go on. I was looking at buying a new laptop a few weeks ago and i spent some time thinking about it and decided to take a risk any buy a Macbook to see if i like Macs as they were becomming more popular and everone was saying how great they were.

Im very surprised at how well OSX works. It's hard to explain why its great, but as people say, it just works. The Macbook is great aswell. It's a lot better quality then my Dell Latitude D420 laptop.

Some things i noticed on the Macbook and OSX are ....

The screen doesn't go all the way back, which isn't a big deal as it goes back far enough.

The power button doesn't light up.

They should introduce a two button touchpad for the Macbook.

The Macbook sratches easily.

The CD-RW/DVD drive doesn't always eject when you hit the eject button.

When you shut down OSX, it doesn't shut down if theres anything open.

There isn't a built in programme in OSX to record videos.

Thats about it. It's a lot less things then if i named everything in Windows. I'd be here allnight.

Anyway, thanks for reading this if you did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can still set the trackpad to have 2button clicking. You need to hold the button down to eject the CD, it isnt instant eject for if people accidently hit the button. OS X shuts down open programs before it shuts itself down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you have non-native Rosetta programs open, it can a while for OS X to close them and shut down.

You need to hold down the eject button, not just press it.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Thanks. That explains it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What do you mean by built in program to record video? Are you talking about from a video camera? Or from a DVD? If the former, then I should tell you that you have iMovie, which DOES import videos from DV cameras.

If you're talking about ripping DVDs, then sure, it doesn't come with anything, but then again, neither does Windows ;)

Finally, the power button isn't supposed to light up. That's what the LED on front is for. It tells you if the computer is on, off, or sleeping. Makes more sense to have it in front if you think about it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
also, make sure you're not closing the macbook when shutting down until it is completely shut down or it will go to sleep before it shuts down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Black MacBook 160GB HD 2GB RAM
Scrolling Touchpad

How do you scroll using the MacBook touchpad?:confused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How do you scroll using the MacBook touchpad?:confused:

It needs to be turned on in System Preferences, but you hold two fingers on the touchpad and scroll by sliding your fingers up/down or left/right (it works both ways).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
What can I say, the M-F pros already answered the questions and then some. My little addition would be to say that MacBooks are sweeeet. So Enjoy it and Kiss the Windows/Dell Laptop good bye, u won't be able to use it by the end of the week. Trust me on that :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
You can also set your trackpad to do a right click with a 2 finger tap in system preferences. I find that very convinient, even more efficient than and actual right mouse button! (on a laptop, at least)

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the mac world! I've only been on my macbook for about a month and 1/2... but like you; I did notice how easily it scratches (I already have plenty). At any rate, you made the right decision- I've been having a blast and not one issue (yet). LOL You are in the right place for information. I will say one last thing; for practically ALL the programs you used on your laptop there are PLENTY of alternative and equally efficient alternatives and they're FREE! :) Take care and talk with you again soon.

Scott

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.