need help with OutlookExpress

R

ruralguy

Yesterday, I upgraded my iMac 333MHz Ram from 96 to 512. It installed correctly. Today, I upgraded OS from 8.6 to 9.2.1 to 9.2.2. Overall, it seems to run well. However, somewhere in the process of confidently pushing buttons, I messed up, so on my Outlook Express (5.0.2f35 per Apple Sys. Prof.) I show no emails having been carried over from the old O.E. (4.0.1). I may have messed up in the Identities area. Tried in the Import under File but it doesnt seem to the be answer. I am still as dumb as dirt about Macs, so any advice would be helpful. My old email file has a lot of stuff I am saving. I know it exists, but cannot find the sucker.....thanks. Hank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Being an OS X user I'm not familiar - but I looked around and found this help desk info. Maybe if you select the account name you used in OE4.x you may find what you're looking for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The Identities folder is where the email is stored. If you caused it to be overwritten, then you are out of luck. But, if the system updated from version 4 to 5, I would think that the old Identities (or Main Identity) folder would still be on your drive.

Have you done a search for "Database". That is what it is called in Entourage and I believe it is named the same in Outlook Express.

Good Luck.

OP
B

Badger

Unless you moved it your e-mail is stored in the indentities folder inside the Outlook Express folder. They are not stored as individual messages but within the database file (as mentioned above). OE 4 and 5 use the same format so there is no issue there.

Use Sherlock to search your hard disk for the identities folder. If you can find the OE 4 identities folder you should be able to drag the entire folder into the OE 5 folder. When you open OE 5 it will search the database files in that folder and list all accounts available. Then you'll be able to pick up your e-mail account(s) from where you left it.

If the OE 4 file has been overwritten then you may be able to get it back with a file recovery utility like Norton.

Badger

OP
R

ruralguy

I think I cooked my goose!!!

Have gone through everything and cannot find a single reference to 8.6 IE and OE with email. I think I overwrote, blacked out or unknowingly shredded the whole mess....BUT, on the good side, I upgraded my OS from 8.6 to 9.2 up to 10.2 today, and everything is working...A big book on OS X (MacOSX Jaguar from Osborne)arrived this afternoon by mail. Purchased used from Amazon, but in brand-new condition. I expect to shoot "expert" in a few weeks! Or maybe not...

Thanks for suggestions and guidance...

Hank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.