iTunes to ItUNES

Reaction score
I'm trying to send all of my songs from my PC to my Mac, but I dont have an iPod (stolen). I know i can do this with DVD/external HD but i'd like to keep my play counts and ratings etc. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
If the PC has a DVD or CD burner, iTunes (7) has a 'Backup to Disc' feature that will do just that, and supposedly it preserves all the play counts and times. However the last time I did one (old Mac Mini to Macbook) it dropped the play times (though not the counts) for some reason. When I transferred my wife's iTunes from her Mac Mini to new Macbook it didn't.

Then again, my library is only 14 Gig or so, so it only took a few DVD's. It'll span the DVDs until it's done. Put the first disc of the backup into the Mac and iTunes will know it's a backup and restore accordingly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
does external HD work too?

Not with backup to disc, and if you're going PC to Mac unless the external is formatted FAT32 (which it might be) the Mac will only be able to read the NTFS file system. Which might be okay if you're going to copy the iTunes folder over to an internal drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, but with this method am i right inthinking that track information, rating playcounts etc, will not get carried over?

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the help, it worked a treat. My ratings copied over, but not my play counts. do you know why/how to get them back?

Thanks

Reaction score
Good to know there's a doc on doing that. I don't really rate my songs, but it would be nice to get the play counts copied over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.