• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing 1080p on high-end iMac?

Reaction score
Hi, new here and looking for some answers as I am switching from Windows to OS X extremely soon.

I am going to be upgrading my editing set-up soon and I have been keeping my eye on the iMacs. The Mac Pro is simply out of my price range at this point. I guess my main concern would be editing 1080p video. I will be acquiring a HVX-200 camera and am just not sure if the iMac can handle the resolution. My planned specs would be 24 inch LCD Screen, 2GB RAM, 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM. This would all be edited on FCP. I usually only edit DV which is much less processor hungry so I am not sure of the requirements needed to process 1080p. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also prefer if the question be answered by people with similar hardware specs. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi, new here and looking for some answers as I am switching from Windows to OS X extremely soon.

I am going to be upgrading my editing set-up soon and I have been keeping my eye on the iMacs. The Mac Pro is simply out of my price range at this point. I guess my main concern would be editing 1080p video. I will be acquiring a HVX-200 camera and am just not sure if the iMac can handle the resolution. My planned specs would be 24 inch LCD Screen, 2GB RAM, 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM. This would all be edited on FCP. I usually only edit DV which is much less processor hungry so I am not sure of the requirements needed to process 1080p. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also prefer if the question be answered by people with similar hardware specs. Thanks!
If you will doing HD video with Final Cut I would suggest a maxed out iMac or Mid range mac pro ( 2+ GB Ram)

Not sure if you already have external hard drives, but I would get at least 500GB external if u are doing HD.

OP
W
Reaction score
As long as I can edit 1080p with a maxed out iMac, I'll be fine.

Also, how much harddrive space can I expect for a minute of 1080p .mov. A bit specific, but if you know that be great.

---Edit

On another forum I posted this question on, a member said:

"I highly doubt that you would be able to capture 1080p video to the iMacs hard drive. You would need an external raid to allow for faster data rate."

What do you think? I am not sure of the specific data rate needed.

Reaction score
As long as I can edit 1080p with a maxed out iMac, I'll be fine.

Also, how much harddrive space can I expect for a minute of 1080p .mov. A bit specific, but if you know that be great.

---Edit

On another forum I posted this question on, a member said:

"I highly doubt that you would be able to capture 1080p video to the iMacs hard drive. You would need an external raid to allow for faster data rate."

What do you think? I am not sure of the specific data rate needed.
to tall u the truth, im not sure, but i would think its about 25 GB per hour. You should buy at least 500GB external firewire 800 disk. You should be able to capture to that. What camera are you capturing from?

OP
W
Reaction score
I'll be using a Panasonic HVX200. After doing a little more research on other forums, I should be alright. The camera uses the DVCProHD codec, which has a maximum bandwidth of 100Mbps, which shouldn't be a problem for modern hard drives. I am also currently looking into other external hard drives as well though. Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.