Another Video Related Thread From a Switcher...

Reaction score
So I got my "always on top" answer... very appreciated. So maybe you can help me out here.

I have a PC at home that I use as a media server. When the wife and I are in bed and want to relax and watch some downloaded tv or movie - drm free of course - we take out the macbook and connect over wifi to our linksys router, which the pc is connected to via ethernet. So as I understand it, my macbook is connecting over SMB to my pc to play the videos.

If I was using my pc laptop, I experience no problems.

Using my macbook (2.2 core2) I experience skipping/twitching/pausing while playing the divx videos in quicktime. It happens in the Divx PLayer as well, but much less. I would say in quicktime its unplayable, in DivX player is just annoying.

Considering the full connection speed, I am very confused. 54mbit shoul dbe enough to stream a divx file. Is the SMB connection really causing this much overhead?

if there is a thread on this already (as i imagine I am not the only one experienceing /about this, please direct me to it.) I appreciate your help.

(and yes, in a perfect world, id replace the pc with a mac.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So I got my "always on top" answer... very appreciated. So maybe you can help me out here.

I have a PC at home that I use as a media server. When the wife and I are in bed and want to relax and watch some downloaded tv or movie - drm free of course - we take out the macbook and connect over wifi to our linksys router, which the pc is connected to via ethernet. So as I understand it, my macbook is connecting over SMB to my pc to play the videos.

If I was using my pc laptop, I experience no problems.

Using my macbook (2.2 core2) I experience skipping/twitching/pausing while playing the divx videos in quicktime. It happens in the Divx PLayer as well, but much less. I would say in quicktime its unplayable, in DivX player is just annoying.

Considering the full connection speed, I am very confused. 54mbit shoul dbe enough to stream a divx file. Is the SMB connection really causing this much overhead?

if there is a thread on this already (as i imagine I am not the only one experienceing /about this, please direct me to it.) I appreciate your help.

(and yes, in a perfect world, id replace the pc with a mac.)

What type of Wi-Fi encryption are you using?

OP
G
Reaction score
Im using WAP 64-bit encrption. Nothing incredulous. Like I said. On my PC Laptop - no problems whatsoever.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im using WAP 64-bit encrption. Nothing incredulous. Like I said. On my PC Laptop - no problems whatsoever.

You're probably using WEP 64-bit encryption. WPA is altogether different and is typically not available in different cipher strengths. WEP is mostly useless these days because it is easily hacked (particularly 64-bit) and especially if you're not using it in tandem with MAC filtering. Try switching to WPA2 (WPA/AES) if it's available on your router. You should see better performance.

I too had no problems with WEP (and later WPA) on my Windows machines, but a patch was released for the AirPort cards and this dramatically reduced performance with WPA. Switching to WPA2 corrected that problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.