Program to clean Hard drive?

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Today I've been going through my hard drive deleteing unwanted files and folders with nothing in them to try to clean up. I was wondering if there is a program for macs that will go through your hard drive and search for temp files and things you never use and such. Anyone use something like this?? Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Go to Versiontracker.com and look for Onyx or Cocktail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
MainMenu is another great program that does some system cleaning.

OP
Keef
Reaction score
Sorry for being so noob but, I'm going to try out Cocktail but there are versions for Tiger, Panther, and Jaguar. How do I tell which one I have? I have Mac OS X version 10.4.9 but I don't see anything about exotic cats....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
10.4.9 is Tiger.

M

MacHeadCase

If you mean cleaning as in entirely deleting an app and all its files, take a look at AppZapper.

You just drag the icon of the app you want to say goodbye to over the AppZapper window, it'll gather up all the associated files and you click on the Zap button and it's *POOF* gone with style.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
OS X version 10.4.9 is known as Tiger!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
...How do I tell which one I have? I have Mac OS X version 10.4.9 but I don't see anything about exotic cats....

Hehe this comment made me smile! I was so excited when I found out my OS was called Tiger! So much more imaginative than any Windows stuff - technical language there, yes. I even managed to track down a pink Tiger theme... oh yeah, I am the COOLEST.

Useful query here though, I'll try out one of the apps suggested!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Unfortunately, if Keef is just looking to identify and delete empty folders and folders with stuff in them that is no longer of value to him, I'm afraid that I am not aware of any automated tools that could help.

One thing that I could suggest to you Keef is that if there are specific topic areas that you know you want to discard (example, all the files I ever looked up and kept on the life of King Arthur of Camelot) you can use Spotlight to find them all at least. In the above example, just type "Camelot" into Spotlight and you will be greeted with a list of everything on your disk that has that word in it. That should be a helpful start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.