• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm new

• Thread starter FunkyHomosapien
  • Start date
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As a new to Mac, this may be usefule :)
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed.
:D

OP
F

FunkyHomosapien

I've been using macs for years... but I always find cool tricks in these forums. Very useful.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
Welcome, I'm new to this board too. :)

OP
U

Uni

whiteshark, what does repairing permissions actually do? sorry im new 2 macs, and dont want to stuff up.

Uni/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im not whiteshark, but Ill answer. I think there is a big misconception on repair permissions. All your files have certain permissions that are needed so that certain "users" can use those files.. so for example if the webserver needs to access certain files, those files should be owned by 'www' and writeable by 'www' or they can be owned by anyone as long as those permissions have group or everyone writeable permissions. This is the same with core services, like say the aqua interface.. if some of the permissions get messed up bad enough, some parts of your OS might stop working. Now this is very unlikely, but it can happen. When you do an Update/Upgrade to your OS it is good to repair your permissions since the installer sometimes does not leave the owner or permissions correctly on certain files that "might" interfere with the way the OS is supposed to work, but most of the time even with wrong permissions it will usually work just fine, but you do have those times that it will indeed mess with your system.

What I am trying to say is that it's a good idea to fix your permissions every once in awhile, especially after an Update. Find a program like Onyx and just run some of the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly tasks and you'll be all good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Murlyn said:
What I am trying to say is that it's a good idea to fix your permissions every once in awhile, especially after an Update. Find a program like Onyx and just run some of the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly tasks and you'll be all good :)

I use OnyX, and it makes all my maintenance needs user-friendly. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Uni said:
whiteshark, what does repairing permissions actually do? sorry im new 2 macs, and dont want to stuff up.
Uni/.
Repair permissions functions was well answered by Murlyn :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.