Why Can't I open forum pic thumbnails?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I get a form (v bulletin) that says I'm either not signed in, or....
The form has sign up boxes, but I don't know what I'm signing up for. Anyone know why that happens and why I can't just enlarge the thumbnail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Do you have an example of a post?

M

MacHeadCase

I know that when you're not logged in, just like DB says, you can't see the attached files which is great IMO. If you want to show members some artwork you've done, it will stay with the membership.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Sorry for posting in the wrong place.
For example, I click on the thumbnails posted in the mug shot list. Also, this happens anytime I try to click on other thumbnails in the photo of the month thread too. I'll try to link to the screen I get.
btw, it also shows at the top right that I'm not signed in, but if I hit the back arrow, I really am signed in.
Thanks for your help.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
do you have any sort of internet security cranked up too high? maybe it's not remembering who you are here as it tries to open a new browser to display the image.

M

MacHeadCase

Oops! Carol edited her post... the URL was strange. It had like two strings of numbers. Really never saw THAT before...

Which web browser do you use Carol?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Carol, could your browser have logged you out? If it does and you click "back," it shows the way things *were* at the previous time. I've had this happen and when I logged back in I could see the thumbnails! I had gotten pretty frustrated before I figured out what was happening.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I was away for awhile and I see you all have given me some answers.

MHC, I erased the url because the page came up blank. Yes it was a strange url when that form opens up.

Eric, I'll check my browser security, but I haven't had any problem with opening anything else.
I'm using Safari.
iKitten, it seems I do get logged out, but not really because the back arrow gets me right back to the thread and I'm still logged in.
I want to show the page that comes up but the url won't work, just shows a blank page.

Thanks to all for your help. I'll work on it here and see what I can find. If I find the problem, I'll post it here, unless you all have any other ideas.

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Maybe I didn't explain in enough detail about the back button. When you use the back button, it merely shows you what the previous page was AT THE TIME IT FIRST LOADED. So when you use 'back' arrow, you are (basically) going back in time on your browser! In order to see whether you are actually logged in on the previous page (in currrent time) you have to refresh.
icon10.gif

M

MacHeadCase

Good point, iKitten.

Another thought I have is: do you click on the Remember me button when you log in Mac-Forums? Maybe if you don't and the pages kinda change, uhm, hierarchy for lack of a better word, the browser or the website thinks you're just a visitor?

It's a problem obviously related to cookies though, me thinks.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking cookies too, MHC. No, I don't click on the remember me button (I'll do it). Thanks to you both, I'll check it out and let you know.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, MHC you were right. I checked remember me and now every thumbnail will open. Didn't know that would make a difference, but I know now. Thanks for your help "again."

M

MacHeadCase

It makes sense though when you think about it.

I would imagine that viewing pictures takes you into another level of the board software installation that makes a double- check on who you are. Since our images are protected against being viewed by anyone who drops by, the software will check to see if you are truly logged in, like maybe for the second time. If by clicking on images you jump from one level of security to the next and the cookie doesn't follow you (clicking on Remember Me sets a cookie, not clicking on it does not, I would think), it's obvious the board software will see you as a visitor that has no right to see the image.

Dunno if I'm clear or not, but that's how I imagine it works.

And no problem, Carol, glad I could help. :girl:

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that makes perfect sense and I do believe that's how it works. It did send me to another level where I was automatically logged out. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.