• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Using unsecured networks? Moral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
I am pretty new to being mobile with my computer and was just wondering what your stand is on using unsecured home networks when you are on the road.

I have a wireless lan at home but it is secured, many wifi-routers come unsecured out of the box (ease of installation I guess). Many people who are not so tech-minded seem to think "hey it works" and forget the rest of the setup.

Do you take advantage of this?

Can it sometimes be hard to tell the difference between a genuine free network (like in hotels, cafes etc) and someone who just did not set it up correctly?

What´s your take?

/Stefan

OP
DistantHoller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw that before.. but I was thinking it might be a little different. That guy is/was using it 100% of the time.

Another post mentioned one person, while sitting waiting for his doctor, picked up an unsecured network and started video chatting with his wife.

What do you do when several free/unsecured networks are availabe? Like when you are sitting in a cafe? Perhaps you cant make out wich network belongs to who? Do you just pick one or do you go and ask the cafe owner wich one is his?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I'd say that in a cafe of hotel it is still pretty easy to go to the counter or phone downstairs to identify which is their network. Probably safer that way too.

OP
DistantHoller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another take straight from the osx help file:

If you choose "Ask before joining an open network," you will be prompted when an open network becomes available. If you choose "Automatically join an open network," you will not be promoted, and will automatically join an open network when it becomes available. If you choose "Keep looking for recent networks," AirPort will continue looking for networks you have already joined, and automatically join the network when one is found.

If it is indeed illigal, why would the "Automatically join an open network" be available as an option?

Just curious

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If it is indeed illigal, why would the "Automatically join an open network" be available as an option?

Just curious

Because not all open networks are illegal. Colleges or business districts will have a series of open WiFi connections for the public to use.

However, there have been more than enough posts about people using networks where the owner of the network has no intention of sharing their signal. That is not only immoral and sleazy, but it's quite possibly illegal depending on where you are.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. There are already enough threads that discuss this, for example the one that you were linked to in the second post of this thread:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56490

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.