Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
CRphotography.jpg
So what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
its gd. but i would get some more 'leafy' tress instead of small trees etc.. if you know what i mean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
i like it, but you might want to change your font color or something. i'm not quite sure what its missing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I love the colours but the composition seems a bit off. Almost every tree/plant has been cut in half, a little up and to the right I feel would have been better if it was possible - So there was a little more sky showing, that would also give it more balance.

Very beautiful colours though, what was it shot with?

M

MacHeadCase

I see that you want to put emphasis on autumn colours which are so lovely. But I don't know if you tinkered in Photoshop to tweak the colours a bit to accentuate the yellows and oranges or not, but the sky's blue is yellowed in the process.

If you want to exaggerate the colours, you should do it in a way that would not make anyone think that the colours from your camera are off so the exaggeration needs to be very strong.

If you have trouble processing this calibration, maybe inverse the colours entirely for a strange effect.

If that does not please you and is not what you are looking for to attract people to your website, you will need to work with the adjustment layers in Photoshop.

I reworked your photo very quickly and this is what it looks like... I saved the file as .jpg and at a very low setting (the file was huge) so it probably won't show lots of detail though.

CRphotography_retouched.jpg

Reaction score
Hi, rollersher

The black printing might be better if it was white. It doesn't stand out enough against the leaves.

MHC mentioned and removed the yellow in the sky. If you adjusted the leaf colours with Photoshop or another app that allows you to shift specific hues, exclude blue. Or if the app won't do that but allows changes to colour ranges such as "warm" and "cold," exclude "cold" so the sky doesn't change, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I prefer the milky sky...

M

MacHeadCase

Well the yellow spills out even on the white border around rollershoer4MAC's photo: that would need to be cleaned up in his version in that case. A feathered reverse selection and eraser to take out the yellow from the border does it nicely.

OP
rollershoer4MAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for the tips. Im going to work on it a bit and ill repost a finished one. Thanks Macheadcase for adding the blue sky =]. And Moss, It was taken with a Konica Minolta 35mm SLr, using Porta 200mm Film.

OP
rollershoer4MAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok after a little work with saturation and contrast I got this
CRPAd.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

Much better! The typeface you chose also goes better with what you want the website to be about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
It's OK. Still lacking with the typography. Too much leading. Bring it closer together. Also, I'd suggest changing the font again. Script fonts are hard to use, and better suited to wedding invitations and ......well, wedding invitations.

I'd look at using a photo where you have planned a composition for the type at the time of shooting. For example, you might split the photo horizontally in half, with sky in the top half, which is where you'd place the type.

Also, I'd go for a slightly sharper photo. Since it's supposed to advertise your skills, you'd want a nice looking photo, with a crisp focus, displaying technical ability.

I mean no offense, but I don't think this photo does that at the moment. I agree with moss918 - the composition is off.

Some final things to consider. If this is an ad, where will it be? Should it be a banner for a signature, will it be printed, will you also add contact details? At the moment, it's really only text on a photo, so it's hard to know where exactly its place is for an advert.

Hope this is useful, and doesn't come across as too harsh. It's a good start, but I think it hasn't quite reached its potential - keep at it and I'm sure it will though. :)

Reaction score
If we're already rating ads, I made this "preview" button for an upcoming service a colleague and I are starting up.

zeeyo125a2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Maybe try a more modern font. At the moment it looks old fashioned.

OP
rollershoer4MAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's OK. Still lacking with the typography. Too much leading. Bring it closer together. Also, I'd suggest changing the font again. Script fonts are hard to use, and better suited to wedding invitations and ......well, wedding invitations.

I'd look at using a photo where you have planned a composition for the type at the time of shooting. For example, you might split the photo horizontally in half, with sky in the top half, which is where you'd place the type.

Also, I'd go for a slightly sharper photo. Since it's supposed to advertise your skills, you'd want a nice looking photo, with a crisp focus, displaying technical ability.

I mean no offense, but I don't think this photo does that at the moment. I agree with moss918 - the composition is off.

Some final things to consider. If this is an ad, where will it be? Should it be a banner for a signature, will it be printed, will you also add contact details? At the moment, it's really only text on a photo, so it's hard to know where exactly its place is for an advert.

Hope this is useful, and doesn't come across as too harsh. It's a good start, but I think it hasn't quite reached its potential - keep at it and I'm sure it will though.
Its going to be an ad on someone elses website, and going to have contact information and a link to me under it. I know I should use a crisp photo but I only have a Film SLR. I think im going to buy some high Definition Kodak film for the next one. Ill try a different font also.
That wasnt harsh at all, just good advice. Thanks for the tips and credicism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
I'm still looking for an "ad." All I see is a puddle of orange and yellow vomit with some white script type floating in it.

Seriously. What is this supposed to be? When I see an ad for a photographer, I generally expect to see a beautiful photograph. The photo used here is about as amateur and ugly as it can possibly get. To make matters worse, it appears that you've purposely sucked every ounce of color, depth and contrast out of the photo. It honestly looks like fresh vomit on the floor at a frat party.

Also, I would definitely lose the script font. You won't be able to read it at small sizes, and quite frankly script fonts are horribly "cliche."

A photo that is less busy will get more attention - which I assume is the goal. The photo used here looks like something a 5 year old could have shot with a disposable camera. Focus on YOUR strength as a photographer. If you're into nature shots, go shoot a flower with a macro lens, etc... And make sure it's a yellow/orange/red/purple flower against some nice green grass. Something with contrast.

Sorry if it came across too harsh. I hire photographers all the time in the ad business, so I'm a bit spoiled.

OP
rollershoer4MAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still looking for an "ad." All I see is a puddle of orange and yellow vomit with some white script type floating in it.

Seriously. What is this supposed to be? When I see an ad for a photographer, I generally expect to see a beautiful photograph. The photo used here is about as amateur and ugly as it can possibly get. To make matters worse, it appears that you've purposely sucked every ounce of color, depth and contrast out of the photo. It honestly looks like fresh vomit on the floor at a frat party.

Also, I would definitely lose the script font. You won't be able to read it at small sizes, and quite frankly script fonts are horribly "cliche."

A photo that is less busy will get more attention - which I assume is the goal. The photo used here looks like something a 5 year old could have shot with a disposable camera. Focus on YOUR strength as a photographer. If you're into nature shots, go shoot a flower with a macro lens, etc... And make sure it's a yellow/orange/red/purple flower against some nice green grass. Something with contrast.

Sorry if it came across too harsh. I hire photographers all the time in the ad business, so I'm a bit spoiled.
Wow if thats now constructive criticism I guess I just dont know what is. Did it come off harsh? Oh of course not especially when you said it looked like fresh vomit on the floor of a frat party. Really thanks for all the help! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
I thought I did offer help at the end of my post. My crit was about as constructive as you can get, IMO. The photo is just flat as a board and really doesn't "show off" anything. If you're a photographer, certainly there are better shots in your book to show off your talents, no?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.