• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Al Gore & Keynote

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I hope he's using Apple because he truly believes it's a superior OS. Many liberals I know use Macs because they believe Microsoft is a "big, evil, money-loving, greedy, puppy-killing corporation." Apple isn't exactly a ma and pa company though, so I don't think that was why Al Gore made the big switch.

I mean no offense to anyone, I'm just a libertarian who borders on anarcho-capitalism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Pretty cool, indeed! What a nice write-up for Keynote. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Randy: Boys, I don't want you hanging out with that ex vice-president anymore, okay?...Stan: But I feel kind of bad for him, Dad. I don't think he has any friends.

I'm a South Park fan.

OP
DistantHoller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
.... they believe Microsoft is a "big, evil, money-loving, greedy, puppy-killing corporation." ....

Oh! Is that not a fact???? (especially the puppy-killing bit) :D :D :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Randy: Boys, I don't want you hanging out with that ex vice-president anymore, okay?...Stan: But I feel kind of bad for him, Dad. I don't think he has any friends.

I'm a South Park fan.

do you think he hangs with Hil-dog?

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I hope he's using Apple because he truly believes it's a superior OS. Many liberals I know use Macs because they believe Microsoft is a "big, evil, money-loving, greedy, puppy-killing corporation."...
I mean no offense to anyone, I'm just a libertarian who borders on anarcho-capitalism.

I am borderline libertarian as well (thanks to Ayn Rand, of course :p). However, I do not think Al Gore feels that way about Microsoft. He is a businessman himself.

Plus, most modern liberals understand economics and realize the importance of companies like Microsoft (sorry all, but it is true).

Keynote is a clearly superior program. That is all there is to it. He would never have been able to create such a good presentation in Power Point. Ha! Everything made in Power Point looks like a 5th grader did it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be. I have NEVER seen a good Power Point presentation in my life :p

I've seen many very good PowerPoint presentations. I've also seen some VERY bad Keynote presentations.

So much of the quality has to do with the person creating the presentation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Is it not pretty cool that the most talked about slide show on this sad planet is made with Keynote, and not Powerpoint??

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2006/05/inconvenienttruth/

Just shows when something really important needs to be communicated, a mac is the weapon of choice!

Interesting.

Personally, I still use PowerPoint even though I have a Mac. I just don't see the point in learning another slideshow application, when the one I already know works fine.

Here's a funny story. I was at an Adobe Flex conference a few weeks back, and the Keynote presentation was a PowerPoint presentation running on a Mac. During the presentation, his computer locked up, and everyone started making fun of the fact that "Mac's don't lock up". He quipped right back at them with "Well, I was running a Microsoft application". Everyone burst out in laughter.

Reaction score
Al Gore is a director on the board of Apple. Although I love the fact that Apple is used extensively throughout his presentation, I can't help thinking that part of the reason is that he's got an afiliation with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've seen many very good PowerPoint presentations. I've also seen some VERY bad Keynote presentations.

So much of the quality has to do with the person creating the presentation.
Exactly. It isn't the software that makes someone look good or bad... it is the person making it.
Like my piano teacher used to say, "There is no music in the piano... the music is in the musician".:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
After using both, I must admit that I do prefer Keynote over Powerpoint...
The results feel slightly more polished with less work involved.

But I'm sure in the right hands, both are equally good...

OP
DistantHoller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
Exactly. It isn't the software that makes someone look good or bad... it is the person making it.
Like my piano teacher used to say, "There is no music in the piano... the music is in the musician".:black:

But you look so much better in a BMW M5 than in a Toyota Corolla! :) The girls like you more, same with Keynote ;) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After using both, I must admit that I do prefer Keynote over Powerpoint...
The results feel slightly more polished with less work involved.

But I'm sure in the right hands, both are equally good...

I think both have their benefits. I wish there would be a product that would combine the two. I think Keynote has an slight edge up on creating simple, elegant presentations with ease (you can still do it with Powerpoint, just a little more work). And Powerpoint blows Keynote away as far as slide and overall presentation control.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.