Want to take a picture of my gear and need help

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Not sure where best to ask this so let's start here.

I want to take a picture of my computer (either the PowerMac or MacBook Pro) complete with image on the monitor whilst also including in the picture a second monitor which has a shiny black surround.

I have a Canon EOS 400D and if I try this on auto setting I either get the second monitor image too bright so that the computer is hardly visible or the black surround showing reflections and the background is so dark it looks like the image is floating in space.

What I need to know is how best to do this, should I do it in daytime and just try to reduce reflections? If I do will the image on screen be visible enough, should I use a tripod and turn the brightness down on the monitors then use a longer exposure time?

If anyone else has done this and has some tips I'd be grateful.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
This is what I did....

Fill the screen with green pixels. Take your photo. Restore your desktop. Take a screen grab of your desktop. Import your photo into photoshop. Manually place the screen grab into the green pixels.

And you get something like:
jules.gravinese.jpg

Oh, I said green pixels. You'll want to pick a color that is not in the surroundings. So maybe red or blue. Depends on your situation.

OP
A
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Well I was trying to show off the picture quality of the monitor (actually it's a 1080p TV) but if all else fails I'll keep that method in mind.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
... that would be impossible. Because you're showing it off on someone else's monitor. Silly =) It's like showing off a great sound system by recording it's output from a mic, recording to tape, and letting people listen to it on their walkman.

You'll go through much muddying:
1) Scene lighting
2) Capture device (ccd/slr)
3) Device compression (save to file)
4) Image decompressor (read file)
5) Resize
6) Copmress (save jpg)
7) Image decompressor (the web browser)
8) Monitor calibration
9) Maybe the other user has a crappy monitor

Reaction score
what about taking 2 similar pictures. 1st shows one monitor in really good quality, second picture the other one. exchange one "crappy monitor picture" in one picture with the good one of the second picture, et voila...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.