PC VS. Mac performance

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forums. In august i need a new computer to do 3D and video redigation on, I'm taking a graphical artist education. I've heard that Mac is better with graphics, but I have seen the proMac for a very very high price, 2.500 USD. So, before I even visit the Mac store again, I want to see some graphical comparison performances, with PC and Mac, for about the same price.

Can you help me? I've searched the net, but couldn't find enything...

Please help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
want to see some graphical comparison performances, with PC and Mac, for about the same price.

Can you help me? I've searched the net, but couldn't find enything...

Please help...
You haven't found any because none exist. No computer is "better" than the other. The notion that "Macs are better at graphics" is only a myth. True, this used to be the case about 15 -20 years ago, but nowadays there really is no difference. All computers use the same hardware, unlike what it was a decade or so ago.
So, how much "better" a computer is all comes down to personal preference, despite what anyone else might say.
I would suggest going to the Apple Store again and taking a few moments to try out the machines and get a better idea of what it is like to use OS X.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where do you live that a Mac Pro is $20K? You can get the lowest priced Mac Pro for $2499.

OP
K
Reaction score
Is Mac really not better at graphics than PC? Then why should I spend twice the money, with the same configuration as a PC? :eek:

Yeah, I was wrong with the 20.000 USD, it's 2.500 USD, but it's still twice as much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Macs and PCs are no different when it comes to graphics. After all, both use similar graphics cards from nVidia or ATI.

The difference comes down to software available, the operating system and the industry standard.

For 2D work, Mac's are the industry standard - if you want a job in this area, you will be greatly benefited from having Mac experience.

3D and video is more of a mixed bag. What software would you be using? What does your educational establishment recommend?

Have a look at iMacs too.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Is Mac really not better at graphics than PC? Then why should I spend twice the money, with the same configuration as a PC? :eek:

Yeah, I was wrong with the 20.000 USD, it's 2.500 USD, but it's still twice as much!

If you buy a ready made PC of the same specification as a Mac from a decent named company you will find they are either around the same cost or that the Mac is slightly cheaper, especially if you factor in the cost of software.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
The mac pro is the cheapest computer with that spec you can get, by quite a high margin. its not really a mac vs pc argument, but an OSX vs. XP argument. And seeing as you can have both on a mac pro...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Is Mac really not better at graphics than PC?
For 2D graphics, you'll get better font and color management on a Mac than with Windows. But for 3D, there isn't a clear-cut advantage for Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux. It also depends on the app you choose to run.
Then why should I spend twice the money, with the same configuration as a PC? :eek:

If you can find a 4-core Xeon for US$1250, buy it. End of story. But I very much doubt it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.