Sleep & transport

Reaction score
Is it alright (smart?) to transport my MacBook while it is in sleep mode instead of actually shut down? Not sure how much power its drawing, doesn't seem to get warm at all while sleeping. It'd certainly be more convenient for short trips if I could leave it in sleep mode but I want to make sure that's not going to cause issues.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I almost always leave mine in sleep mode when I can. I transport it in sleep mode and have not had a problem so far.

It does drain some battery power but it does not seem to be that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0 GHz/1 GB/80
I always put mine in sleep mode.
The computer is actually disconnetcted except the ram.
I allways transport mine in sleep mode. When I need to use it, I just have to open the lid and start working :yinyang:

At night I leave it also in sleep mode and it seems to discharge 5%. I read in this forum that it can sleep for about 100 hours in sleep mode.

Pacman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I use sleep mode almost all of the time. The only time I encounter any trouble with it is if I change any physical connections while it is sleeping.

:radioacti Don't change physical connections while it is asleep. This is a Bad Thing. :radioacti

Connecting or unconnecting power gets its attention, though this doesn't appear to be a bad thing. In contrast, plugging my iPod shuffle into it while asleep gave me an evening of fun a few days ago. I wanted to see if I could charge it while the Mac slept. Somehow OS X became confused and locked. When I got it unlocked and up and running again, I checked it and discovered minor hard disk corruption that was easily corrected. It's fine now, and I still use sleep mode, but I'm a bit more careful about what I do with external connections.

Reaction score
I only shut mine down for transport in the car. My car has a sports suspension so its very rough.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I only shut mine down for transport in the car. My car has a sports suspension so its very rough.

It really doesn't matter if it gets jostled because the hard drive is parked whenever the computer is in sleep mode - it is basically in the same state that it would be in if the computer was shut down completely. That's the only moving part that you really have to worry about being damaged by shock and vibration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As long as the HDD isn't spinning, you're fine.

That pretty much nails it on the head. Besides the hard drive and fans, there are no other moving parts that can get damaged from some slight jostling.

I actually realized a little while ago that I had not shut down my Macbook once since I got it. I had always used Sleep mode, so it had been "running" for 2 months straight :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I put my MacBook to sleep and carry it around at least twice a day and I haven't seen any problems.

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter if it gets jostled because the hard drive is parked whenever the computer is in sleep mode - it is basically in the same state that it would be in if the computer was shut down completely. That's the only moving part that you really have to worry about being damaged by shock and vibration.

good to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I do it all the time. Home-to-clients and back, home-to-the folks in the country and back, a quick trip to an internet cafe, etc.
I've never seen any adverse affects (see the previoius poster's reasons - sleep mode, etc).
The trips are anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours.
It's a heckuva lot more convenient, too - Waking from sleep vs a "cold startup".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I always put mine in sleep mode.
The computer is actually disconnetcted except the ram.
I allways transport mine in sleep mode. When I need to use it, I just have to open the lid and start working :yinyang:

At night I leave it also in sleep mode and it seems to discharge 5%. I read in this forum that it can sleep for about 100 hours in sleep mode.

Pacman

i use sleep for transporting my ibook around school.

i think my ibook is about 125 hours sleep - never tried it tho lol only use about 2 hours max.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.