I'm new to the world of MAC

Reaction score
Hi people, my name is Chris and I am new to the world of Mac and am completely lost I tell yeah!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Hi Chris, welcome. If you have any questions just give us a shout!

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Welcome, what did you buy to get you into this Fabulous world?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
Hey Chirs, welcome to mac forums. I hope you enjoy this websight as much as we do. My first I am curious about is , why did you switch and do you think you made the right choice for you ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at these stickied threads here at Mac-Fourms:

Mac-Forums.com > General Discussions > Switcher Hangout > Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

Mac-Forums.com > General Discussions > Switcher Hangout > The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Mac-Forums.com > General Discussions > Switcher Hangout > A switcher's guide to OS X Software

Those threads should answer about 95% of your potential questions. Feel free to use the Search Feature of the forum if you can't find the answer to your questions in those threads.

M

MacHeadCase

Hey chriskellydub! Welcome to Mac-Forums and welcome to the Mac platform.

Sorry I couldn't chat last night to help you tweak iChat. It's been a long week so far and went to bed early (8:30 p.m.-ish! I was exhausted).

Like everyone else here, I think you've made a fabulous choice. Just keep an open mind about Mac OS X, don't expect it or demand of it that it be or react like Windows and you'll do fine. DB posted great links so you can read up on them and those threads will help you get started and for all the rest we're here to help!

If you can't find with the Mac-Forums search an answer to your question, just start a new thread and we'll do our best to help out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi Chris, and Welcome!!

May I suggest that you make a conscious choice to undertake what I call "full Mac immersion" for a bit? Let me explain:

The Mac will feel really different. So, I recommend that new Mac owners consciously decide to go for "full Mac immersion" for a period of month or so. What is "full Mac immersion"? It is trying to do EVERYTHING "the Mac way" for a while until you get over the fact that it is just different from "the Windows way". Consciously decide to seek out and use the "Mac way" of doing any thing that you are trying to do. This will force you to break the Windows paradigm you are thinking in, and allow you to enjoy and understand the full Mac experience.

As an example, Safari is a very good browser. Force yourself to use it. Don't just reflexively download and use Firefox because you are used to it.

A month or so later you can sit back, having now experienced both ways of doing things, and start making decisions about how you really want to approach the world.

In my case, I did just this, and found that I pretty much completely discarded the old Windows way of doing things. Life IS better on the Mac side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Hi Chris, and Welcome!!

May I suggest that you make a conscious choice to undertake what I call "full Mac immersion" for a bit? Let me explain:

The Mac will feel really different. So, I recommend that new Mac owners consciously decide to go for "full Mac immersion" for a period of month or so. What is "full Mac immersion"? It is trying to do EVERYTHING "the Mac way" for a while until you get over the fact that it is just different from "the Windows way". Consciously decide to seek out and use the "Mac way" of doing any thing that you are trying to do. This will force you to break the Windows paradigm you are thinking in, and allow you to enjoy and understand the full Mac experience.

As an example, Safari is a very good browser. Force yourself to use it. Don't just reflexively download and use Firefox because you are used to it.

A month or so later you can sit back, having now experienced both ways of doing things, and start making decisions about how you really want to approach the world.

In my case, I did just this, and found that I pretty much completely discarded the old Windows way of doing things. Life IS better on the Mac side.

I couldn't have said this better myself.

Welcome to M-F!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Welcome Chris! The info and reception you have received in less than 24 hours is an example of how awesome this forum is. Great bunch of people who can answer almost any question you might have about Mac's. Come back often, you won't be disappointed!

Reaction score
I want to say, "Welcome!" also! I am a bit of a daily lurker here on these forums, but now want to start posting - and I couldn't think of a better way! hahah

I totally agree with the "total immersion" philosophy! After only using Safari for a long time - I just cannot use another browser! I try them all out for a period of time, but Safari just pulls me back as my main browser. I just love the way it handles RSS.

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of Apple and the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 24"
Having just made the switch last Saturday (my PC died and I went with a Mac) I can tell you that full immersion is the cat's shizzle! You'll learn more, do more, and get more comfortable much faster than if you keep falling back on old habits.

Rolling into day six of my experience and I absolutely LOVE OS X, my Mac, and this forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Hey, Chris. I'd look for "Easy Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger" by Kate Binder. I got a copy from the library and it is really easy to understand!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
Hi, and welcome to the forums. There are many many helpful people on this forum, so if you ever feel left in the dark about any mac problems, be sure ask or use the search function.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.