SETI Team

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I've been computing for SETI@home for a while, and was wondering anyone would be interested in starting a MacForums SETI@home team? Does one already exist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Dunno! but this forum needs more action :) but the good news is that means it's a Mac site, and we Mac users are trouble free! That's a good thing! Yup! Go Unix/BSD/Mac/Linux :) :D :p

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
witeshark said:
Dunno! but this forum needs more action :) but the good news is that means it's a Mac site, and we Mac users are trouble free! That's a good thing! Yup! Go Unix/BSD/Mac/Linux :) :D :p

Yeah, I though it would be neat to have an all Mac team. I know some other Mac sites have teams too, so it could even introduce a little bit of competition between sites, which could be fun. :D

Oh, and I guess I should have better explained SETI@home for those who aren't familiar with it. It's a distributed computing project which takes signals received from space and analyzes them for signs of intelligent extra-terrestrial life. It can run as a screen saver or constantly in the background. Basically, the home site sends your machine a "packet", then your computer analyzes it and sends the info back. You then receive another packet, and the cycle continues. It only requires an internet connection (and bandwith) when the packets are sent and received, which only takes a few seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yah I first heard about SETI a few years ago. I remember trying it out. Have there been any interesting results?

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
Yah I first heard about SETI a few years ago. I remember trying it out. Have there been any interesting results?

I know the website has lists of signal candidates and the members who have helped identify them. I believe they intend to go back and focus on these locations in the future. Also, for those who are interested, I've created a team, and it would be great if you joined. It is called |\/|^( and my idea was to have Mac users, enthusiasts, and friends to join. If you have trouble making out the spelling of the team, it is formed from the "|" symbol on the "\" key, followed by the \ and / symbols, the ^ symbol, and the ( symbol. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Sounds fine, by e-mail then?

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.