External Sound Card Recommendations

Reaction score
I have an iMac Core Duo and I've been trying to find an external sound card that will expand my computer's recording capabilities. Anyone have any recommendations?

I am mainly looking for two things: something with a audio in jack and that will let me record what is coming out of my speakers. Multiple audio inputs would be cool but definitely not essential.

Reaction score
M-Audio Firewire Solo

It works great with my macbook, and it is an amazing sound card. The sound quality is really good for the money. Hooks up to PCs or macs via firewire easily, and the software/drivers included work well with both.

You will not be disappointed. Great product. I tried putting my sound card back into my pc so i could use it only with my new macbook, but going back to my supposed high end sound blaster card, but i couldnt handle the horrible sound quality. So now it just goes back and forth between the two which isnt so bad because its just a firewire cable. Anyways, the difference i heard was amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
M-Audio MobilePre USB.

We use this for our podcast-- it adds two XLR jacks as well as external mic and audio inputs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
i was under the impression that USB wasnt good for audio.. is this BS?

It's perfect for audio if you have a good D/A converter pumping it over USB. The limitation is the number of channels you can simultaneously record over USB, in which case Firewire becomes more appropriate.

--Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've used the MobilePreUSB for over a year and a half to record our podcast as well as convert various other audio sources. It works perfectly.

I have no experience with the Firewire version of this type of hardware, but I imagine it would work perfectly as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Firewire is better if you can afford it.

I have an Audiofire 12 which I've not used properly on the Mac yet but it worked fine on the PC.

Echo also are very active in terms of driver development etc.., the support is good.

M-Audio are alright but I had trouble getting one of their MIDI controllers to work via USB once. I gave up and used a MIDI lead.

Audiofire 2 or 4 would be good for the casual user.

http://www.echoaudio.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
motu ultralite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz 2GB RAM 60GB HDD
Check out M-Audio mobile recording interfaces. Affordable and easy to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.