• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac v Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20"iMac, 2.16ghz dual core
Hi, I am new on here looking for some advice/help please?

I am currently running a desktop PC which needs replacing, I also have a Windows based laptop which I use for work and both are served by a wireless router, but no home network (it just isnt needed).

I am looking to replace the PC (Windows XP,Service Pack 2). As I do very little "work" based stuff, and really am looking to have more fun with my home system I am seriously considering an iMac, probably the 2.0Ghz, 17".

After a demo at the Apple Store I am now even more keen, but would like to hear from anyone who has followed a similar path on their journey. I am most attracted by a) the looks, and b) the creative possiblities of a Mac, particularly working with photos, videos and music creation software (which I think comes as standard now). Are there questions I should be asking myself or am I falling for the marketing?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Reaction score
Macs are a lot of fun when it comes to making stuff with your media. I assume you've explore the whole iLife suite.

But for games, Macs are not the best choice, but you can always run Windows on a Mac as well! So there's really no excuse for not getting a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
As long as you're happy to start out learning to use OSX then you can't go wrong with a Mac.

Learning to use OSX is not a challenge, I just mean that there are things that you might be used to doing in the Windows environment which will very likely be performed slightly differently in the OSX environment.

OS X is almost as good looking as the hardware.

I don't really think there are any questions you need to ask of yourself, if your happy with the looks and understand that OSX is not Windows and there will be an element of learning with your new purchase - then go for it - I'm sure you'll be happy and the creativity requirements you seek will be easily met with the iLife Application suite which is included with OSX.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20"iMac, 2.16ghz dual core
Thanks for prompt replies guys, its all adding up to parting with my hard earned cash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Part with your cash. :)
I'm 16, and i decided to get my first Mac(book). I already have a Dell Dimension 3100 PC and a Dell Latitude D420. Both Windows (Obviously). I've been told Macs are so much better then PC's, even thought the compatibility issues, however im willing to see for my self.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.