Just purchased a Macbook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Hey, this is my first post. :) Last week, i ordered a Macbook from Apple and it should be here Wednesday. I just have a few questions.

I got the 1.83Ghz version. Will there be a significance of speed between this one and the 2Ghz version?

How many GB does OSX take up?

I really need a car charger (cigarette lighter charger) for the Macbook. I've searched but cannot find one. At the moment i'm using a inverter that goes upto 300watt, but when the car engine is off, it's going to drain the battery like theres no tommorow. Does anyone know what watt a macbook needs?

Thanks and i'll look forward to joining into the Mac community. I've been a Windows fanboy for so long now and everyone telling me how Apple are so much better, so what better to do then go and buy one. (I'm 16, so hopefully i'll catch on quick :D )

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I think the power brick supplies 60W, so the requirements are much less than your inverter.

If this link works... Inverter from the Apple store for ~£50 (and it cuts off once the voltage drops below 10.5V so I think that would not drain your battery).

As for speed - there will be a speed difference between the 1.83 and 2.0GHz MacBooks but I don't think it is something you'd notice in normal every day tasks. I think many people will agree with me when I say that the RAM is the most important speed factor in normal everyday tasks. If you can at some point buy more RAM then you will notice a speed increase.

I'm not sure what a fresh install of OSX takes up in terms of HDD space.

Welcome to the community I hope you're pleased with your purchase when it finally arrives on Wednesday.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Allready ordered 2x512mb Ram sticks from eBay for £25 so i have 1GB instead of 512MB. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
My MacBook has an 80Gb HDD. When I got it from Apple it only had 55Gb remaining! All of the software included with your new Mac takes up a lot of HD space. Start saving for an external. :black:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there are some things you can do to clean up some space (besides doing a fresh install with only what you want).

there are a lot of threads on it here. try searches for "hard drive space" and "delocalizer".

welcome to the forums and good luck with your new macbook!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.