• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Moving Cell Phone Providers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Hey Guys

We don't like our current provider, TELUS. The thing is - we're only 3 months in to a 3 year contract. We would really hate to have to pay for the contract ending. We really want Rogers wireless. Is there any way to get out of this? TELUS has terrible prices - we pay more than $80 without a SPARK plan for our plan. Absolutely terrible.

Will the number portability act allow me to switch companies?

Thanks,
iRye

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
iRye, I don't know how the number portability act works in Canada. If it were me, I'd figure I was stuck till the 3 years or the contract is up. You did sign for it and agree to the charges.
I'd check with Rogers and see if they can help you, if they want your business they may know of a way. Good luck.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, thanks Carol! Rogers has so many nice phones compared to TELUS, and they have a better network, and they're a LOT cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
With many contracts you can pay to end it early
i believe in some cases you have to pay all of the price you would have to pay over the 3 years
but in many cases you pay for 3 months.

Hope this is of some help.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On TELUS, they make you pay $20 x the number of months left in your contract. That totals to approx. $650 for me. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.