• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

my next instrument

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I plan to buy a piano soon, so the question is: what piano name brand do you prefer ? I bet that few of you guys play piano, but any info. would be helpful.

thanks ~

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya, i know it's lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
This sounds more like a music shop question. Besides, shops are a really cool place to be at! Piano isn't lame either...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Are you talking about an electric piano or an acoustic (eg: a "real" piano).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Last week I bought an M-Audio Keystation 49e, a 49 key usb midi controller, from the local Apple store. When I use it through GarageBand and connect the audio output from my Mac to my stereo, I get this very nice grand piano. A little GB hack got me the full range of 128 midi instruments, including my favorite the harpsichord. I also bought a book on learning how to play the piano. (I took lessons as a kid, but remember almost nothing of how to play.) I think it's a nice little keyboard. No, it isn't an 88 key piano, but it also didn't cost as much as one either. Frankly you could get any midi controller, as it's your Mac that makes the sound (it is the sequencer); the controller or keyboard merely sends key signals (key id and velocity) to the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, I wish I was thinking of such a decision. Well, you have to go with the big names, Steinway, Fazioli, and Bosendorfer to name a few, if you have the $$.

Right now, I'd just be happy with a nice, upscale Clavinova to hook up to my Mac.

Good luck!

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks i'll probubally need all the help i can get. I just found this new websight that sells pianos very cheap.
http://pianomart.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
I see a lot of free ones in my local newspaper... They probably just need tuned or something. Check your papers!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I just bought one for the wife. We did look and the brand name. She just played each one in our price range until we found the one with the right sound quality, we were looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have a Baldwin upright at home. They do make some of the best pianos in my opinion, and some of them are really very affordable.
The model I have generally sells for anywhere between $5000 and $6000 US.
I actually got mine at a discount wholesaler. The original warehouse that stored the pianos caught fire, and the company liquidated the inventory. The piano ended up only costing $1800 and there isn't a single thing wrong with it. The only thing is, since they were liquidated and sold at a huge discount, Baldwin removed their nameplate from the front of the piano.
Inside, you can still see the model number and serial number information. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I plan to buy a piano soon, so the question is: what piano name brand do you prefer ? I bet that few of you guys play piano, but any info. would be helpful.

thanks ~

Yamaha <3

If you can afford them, they make an excellent instrument. Sure, its kinda weird having a motocross/speaker/cd/wemakeeverythingontheplanetname put on your insturment, but its quality.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Bergmann upright.

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm concidering Baldwin, Ibach, Steinway, and Yamaha

the reason why i ask this questoin is because my upright spinnet is oftly hard to press the keys on (atleast at a fast pace), and the sound is not all that great.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The salesman, I talked to suggested that you play each of the pianos that your are interested in. Find the one that feel right and sounds right. Not all pianos sound the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.