New Mac CAN'T INSTALL DOWNLOADED PROGRAMS

Reaction score
Hi. My sister just bought a previously owned Mac iBook G4 with OS X 10.4. I own a PC myself, so i'm pretty much hopeless with trying to troubleshoot on a Macintosh. The problem I am having is that every time that I try and download a program from safari, it downloads but when you click on the icon on the desktop or in the new folder, nothing happens except that the program icon appears briefly in the dock and then dissappears right away with seemingly no result. Like I said, it was previously owned so there may be something wrong here, but if this is a simpler problem, I would really appreciate some help in dealing with this problem. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Try restoring the mac book with the disks so you have a fresh installation of osx then it will be like a new mac.

From there you can see if the problem continues to persist which it shouldnt do

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There are two methods of installation, depending on the program.

1.) Drag the icon into the Application folder and run the program from there
2.) Double click on the icon if it looks like a box opening. It will then install the program.

Are you doing either of these things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
The folder where your programs are stored

Hope that picture explains everything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Go to finder, on the dock. Then on the left pane look for Applications. I think we can post screen shots. I've seen others post snippets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
BTW, to get a view of your Applications folder, click on an empty area of the desktop, then hold all of CMD+SHFT+A. This will bring up a Finder window showing you your Applications folder.

To install most programs, you just drag and drop them into that folder from the disk image they were downloaded in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.