• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What would be a good big cat name to use on Mac OS 10.6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I know this is EXTREMELY pre-mature, but it's just for fun so oh well. I was wondering what Big Cat you all think should be used for the next edition of Mac OS X after Leopard? I think Mac OS X Cougar would be awesome, IMHO.

Reaction score
Cougar, Onza, Lynx (thought this one's unlikely thanks to the linux browser)) and Lion come to my head.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'd like Mac OS X Lion to be the name of the last version of Mac OS X before Mac OS XI or 11 (or however they decide to put the digits) comes along, because the Lion is the king of the big cats and it's only appropriate that it gets the best version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't think there would necessarily be any legal issues with using Lynx for two reasons:

- The cat names are technically the code-names of the systems, not the official names
- An OS is technically very different from a browser, especially a text-based browser. There would be very little chance of someone misting the OS for the browser. Now if Apple tried to rename Safari to Lynx, that may be a bigger issues ;)

Reaction score
Yes, but I think that (normal common-john) people will get confused between Linux and Lynx, and I just don't think it's the best option.

It's like so many companies bringing out iProducts and I've had a friend thinking iTrip was manufactured by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, but I think that (normal common-john) people will get confused between Linux and Lynx, and I just don't think it's the best option.

To be honest, I don't think most "common-john" people know what Linux is ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
No name, how about what big cats do, "Roar"

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I vote for "Tabby".

LOL, how about Mac OS X Muffy? Something tells me that cute kitten names aren't what Apple is looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Or you could go for OS X Fluffykins.
That has a nice ring to it.

Reaction score
Common John would've at least heard of Linux.

Oh well, I give up. Let them go ahead and name it Lynx. It'll still be misleading, I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
...it seems that almost all of the Shaye model names have mysteriously transformed into Mac OS X release codenames. 'Lynx' is even one of the two additional big cats trademarked by Apple ('Cougar' is the other).
TUAW

So based on that - I'd go for either Cougar or Lynx as the next product code name :)

edit:
Common John would've at least heard of Linux.
I'd go with you on that one - most people have probably at least heard of Linux - now Lynx - well that good old text browser isn't likely to be as 'famous'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Lynx

Or how about my personal favorite: Mac OS X That's-one-big-freakin-cat"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Mac OS X Tortoiseshell

300px-Tortie-flame.jpg

Meow :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Puma or Cougar sound likely

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I vote for lynx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.