Can a MacBook be a serious business computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
I need to replace my aging Windows desk system with possibly a laptop and home wireless network. I'm considering a MacBook (black upgraded to 2GB) or Pro (2.16 & 2GB) connected to a 17"-22" widescreen monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, and Airport. Software will have to include Parallels and XP since there is a Windows service-management software program that I MUST run.

Primary use will be for general office-type applications--technical documentation, marketing material, 2D graphics, limited photo editing, research on web, podcast viewing, website development, etc. No games or high-end 3D graphics.

I've test drove both systems, but cannot decide. Is there anyone with experience with both that can address these issues?

1. Can the MacBook be used as a serious business machine?

2. Would the simplier MacBook graphics run a larger monitor plus its own screen with several applications open? How about streaming video?

3. I'm finding it hard to justify the added $550 CDN for the MBP--the difference would almost pay for a monitor, Airport, KB/mouse. I found the matte MBP screen better, since there is too much glare on the MB (although movies look better on the MB). It's nice to have the larger matte screen, but the MB is more portable, but is it rugged?

4. I have serious concerns about the reliability of any laptop and specifically Apple's ones. I seem to see a lot of problems on these forums. I'm typing this on a 12-year old Windows 95 machine that has seen 25,000 hrs of use. I need at least 3-years reliable constant use before considing replacement.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Primary use will be for general office-type applications--technical documentation, marketing material, 2D graphics, limited photo editing, research on web, podcast viewing, website development, etc. No games or high-end 3D graphics.
They are fairly basic needs that any modern computer on the market today would be able to handle with no issues. There is no reason why any computer on the market today wouldn't be able to handle those tasks.

To answer your questions:

If by that you mean can it handle the tasks you described?...then the answer is yes.

2. Would the simplier MacBook graphics run a larger monitor plus its own screen with several applications open? How about streaming video?

Yes, you can attach an external monitor to a MacBook. You can either mirror or span the desktop onto the external monitor. Video is 2D so there is no reason why it would have an issue showing video.

3. I'm finding it hard to justify the added $550 CDN for the MBP--the difference would almost pay for a monitor, Airport, KB/mouse. I found the matte MBP screen better, since there is too much glare on the MB (although movies look better on the MB). It's nice to have the larger matte screen, but the MB is more portable, but is it rugged?

The MacBook is designed to take a little more 'abuse' than the Pro line, because it is a 'consumer' machine, it is going to be a little more resilient.

4. I have serious concerns about the reliability of any laptop and specifically Apple's ones. I seem to see a lot of problems on these forums. I'm typing this on a 12-year old Windows 95 machine that has seen 25,000 hrs of use. I need at least 3-years reliable constant use before considing replacement.

I see no reason to harbor any concern about Apple especially. All notebook computers are prone to the same pitfalls and failures equally. That is why companies offer warranty extension. I would highly recommend it on any notebook computer. You can purchase the APP from Apple any time within your first year of purchase.
Apple Protection Plan Page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
It sounds like a Mac would be adequate for your business needs, either the MB or the MBP, so the answer to your first question is yes, IMO.

The MacBook's graphics are indeed limited, but Apple advertises its ability to connect to it two smaller sized Cinema Displays, so it should be able to run a secondary monitor without any issues. The number of applications you can run will be determined by how much RAM you put in the machine. Basically, you really don't need a MacBook Pro's graphics capability unless you do high-end photo/video editing, or want the ability to play more games.

Again, only spring for the MBP if you feel you either really need/want the high-end graphics ability and/or the larger screen real estate. Since you want to connect to a secondary monitor, I recommend the MacBook. Use the extra cash on the things you mentioned.

In answer to your fourth question, remember that anyone having problems with their laptop is far more likely to post on a forum about it than people having no problems whatsoever. I've had my MBP for about 3 months, and I'm quite happy with it. I've had no problems thus far with its reliability.

Keep in mind that a Mac is a computer, though. Computers can and do develop problems now and again. If you managed to run that Windows95 box for 12 years without even a minor issue ever coming up, then you deserve a major award. In terms of getting reliability out of a Mac, though, I'd say your bet is as safe with Apple as any other high-end manufacturer like IBM or Sony.

Cheers!

Reaction score
I use my MBP at work and like to have the external monitor as a desktop extension. The 13" screen of the MB would be too small for me to actually use it for my daily work.

Just one of the reasons why I decided for the pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Naw, they goof off all the time. They steal all the donuts from the breakroom, make silly faces behind the boss's back, and just never take anything seriously.

(It's a computer. It's as serious as the person in front of it.)

Except for 3D work (or, well, games) the MacBook's graphics are more than adequate.

I don't think there's enough evidence to say either way. Neither the MacBook or the Pro seems especially flimsy (or rugged) to me.

Apple has been acing the reliability surveys for several years in a row. You do hear lots of complaints on forums, though, for two reasons:

1. Complaining, by and large, is what forums are for
2. There are dozens of forums dedicated to Apple, where owners can congregate and compare notes. Good luck finding a forum dedicated to HP or Gateway notebooks where their users can get together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
ofcoarse, it does virtually the same thing as windows, just on a different os layout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1GB
Based on the fact that you said you will not do intensive 3D work and play games, I would say get the Macbook. If I did not play games, I would have gotten the black Macbook with upgraded RAM.:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
And not sure if this was stated, but you can get a Macbook with a matte finish display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
And not sure if this was stated, but you can get a Macbook with a matte finish display.
As far as I know and have seen, only the Pro line gives the option of Matte or Glossy.
Where have you seen the MacBook with this option for screen type?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Well I just went to the Apple site and they don't have it. For some reason I believed they did..I even had 2 Apple workers fighting over what looked better on the Macbook..and obviously, that option is imaginary LOL

OP
cramar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
Thanks everyone. I'll take another closer look at the MacBook. It seems like it is well able to do what I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Be aware that the current version of Microsoft Office is not Intel native and can stutter and be occasionally slow. Office 2007 for Mac is due to come out at the end of the year for Intel.

OP
cramar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I am re-evaluating this idea. I have read many postings on serveral Mac forums (including this one), where people are having their plastic MacBook cases crack. Unless Apple can assure me as a new purchaser that the problem has been fixed and any newly purchased MacBook will not crack anymore, then I will have to pass on the MacBook. I'm sure they will make manufacturing changes either already or in the near future, but I need to know NOW that a new one is not going to suffer the same fate.

This does nothing to allay my fears that portables are inherently less reliable than desktops.

The only other choices I have now are going the MackBook Pro route (expensive) or iMac route (not portable).

Reaction score
I am a bit drunk so I dont feel like reading every post on this thread. I can only tell you that my business has never run as smoothly as now. Ever since I bought my macbook I have gotten straight A's in school and have completely organized my business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Actually I am re-evaluating this idea. I have read many postings on serveral Mac forums (including this one), where people are having their plastic MacBook cases crack. Unless Apple can assure me as a new purchaser that the problem has been fixed and any newly purchased MacBook will not crack anymore, then I will have to pass on the MacBook. I'm sure they will make manufacturing changes either already or in the near future, but I need to know NOW that a new one is not going to suffer the same fate.

This does nothing to allay my fears that portables are inherently less reliable than desktops.

The only other choices I have now are going the MackBook Pro route (expensive) or iMac route (not portable).

The MacBooks are very well built and very sturdy. Obviously, as with most laptops if you are careless then the MacBook will get damaged. As long as you have a suitable case and you don't throw it around you are gentle with screen lid etc etc then it will last a long time. I have never heard of MacBooks cracking and mine certainly doesn't feel like it is going to crack...it may do if I drop it on a hard surface without a case, but I don't really plan on testing that out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I need to replace my aging Windows desk system with possibly a laptop and home wireless network. I'm considering a MacBook (black upgraded to 2GB) or Pro (2.16 & 2GB) connected to a 17"-22" widescreen monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, and Airport. Software will have to include Parallels and XP since there is a Windows service-management software program that I MUST run.

I've test drove both systems, but cannot decide. Is there anyone with experience with both that can address these issues?

I certainly hope so. I use my MB everyday for work, browsing, email, light gaming (I'm not a hardcore gamer - I'm not a WoW fanboi...MythII and all it's fabulous mods/conversions is about as intense as I get. My MB runs it just great)
[qoutte]
2. Would the simplier MacBook graphics run a larger monitor plus its own screen with several applications open? How about streaming video?[/quote]
Whatever you plug in to that MiniDVI should work fine. Video streaming works peachy.
I haven't dropped my MB to find out. I take care of my baby as much as I would any serious electronics investment. Heavy Duty laptop bag (but I've always used those). ****, I still have that thin foam pad that was between the keyboard and screen when I took it out of the box.

Thanks for your help.
Why specifically "Apple's ones"?
That seems like a little Windows bias. ;)
I've had less problems and issues with my MB than I have had with my previous Dell, HP and Acer laptops (failed hard drives, dead motherboards, dying trackpads...).

OP
cramar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why specifically "Apple's ones"?
That seems like a little Windows bias. ;)

No Windows bias, just based on all the problems listed on this forum. But then I haven't looked at any Dell, HP, Acer, forums. They might have just as many problem postings (proportionately of course). Maybe Apple products really are more reliable. Hard data would give a true picture.

OP
cramar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MacBooks are very well built and very sturdy. Obviously, as with most laptops if you are careless then the MacBook will get damaged. As long as you have a suitable case and you don't throw it around you are gentle with screen lid etc etc then it will last a long time. I have never heard of MacBooks cracking and mine certainly doesn't feel like it is going to crack...it may do if I drop it on a hard surface without a case, but I don't really plan on testing that out!

Most of the many postings across 3 forums reporting cracks are people who insist they baby their MacBook. Some rarely move them off their desk. Definitely is NOT user abuse. I hope it is production problems with the plastic rather than design issues. I fear the latter.

Reaction score
In my experience, it's not that Macs have risen to the level of corporate use, but that a lot of corporate use has fewer requirements. This is NOT a zing at Macs, quite the opposite. The needs of a lot of corporate computers are starting to be very close to the needs of home computers. This allows the Mac advantage to begin to be accessible in the corporate world. There's still some barriers to Macs in the upper levels of business but the surrounding corporate environment is expanding, and its needs are no longer extreme or unique.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.