Internet Connection Reminder

Reaction score
Have now had my 20" iMac Intel Duo Core for three weeks and am gradually (using the "Missing Manuals") getting to grips with everything. I like to try and work problems out myself, or get answers from books and help-files, but there is one irksome problem that I cannot sort: every 30 minutes I get a pop-up pane reminding me that I still have my internet connection and do I want to terminate or keep the connection.

This is a pain in the butt - how do I turn it off?

I have searched but found no answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
What kind of connection do you have? Is it dial-up? I've never encountered that particular quirk myself, but I've only used LAN and WLAN with my Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
i take it your on dial up?
are you using the internet at the time this happens
or is it dorment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I use WiFi only and never encountered that. The only time I get a connection message is when I'm on a VPN connection.

OP
Colin Key
Reaction score
I'm on a DSL broadband connection and my connection is always on, but whenever I am "active" this darned message appears every 30 mins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I'm on a DSL broadband connection and my connection is always on, but whenever I am "active" this darned message appears every 30 mins.

Are you connected through a router or is the dsl coming directly into your computer?

Reaction score
I have DSL broadband and use PPPoE (no router), so all else being equal (which I doubt, but electrons are cheap), try this:

Go into the system preferences to Network

With mine, the first window that pops up has a green dot next to Built-in Ethernet and the Location is set to Automatic. If yours is the same, click on Configure at the bottom. (Even if your's isn't the same, see if there is a Configure button somewhere in your settings.)

Back to how mine appears: Click on the PPPoE tab.

Click on PPPoE Options.

Uncheck Prompt every n minutes to maintain connection.

OP
Colin Key
Reaction score
I have DSL broadband and use PPPoE (no router), so all else being equal (which I doubt, but electrons are cheap), try this:

Go into the system preferences to Network

With mine, the first window that pops up has a green dot next to Built-in Ethernet and the Location is set to Automatic. If yours is the same, click on Configure at the bottom. (Even if your's isn't the same, see if there is a Configure button somewhere in your settings.)

Back to how mine appears: Click on the PPPoE tab.

Click on PPPoE Options.

Uncheck Prompt every n minutes to maintain connection.

What a nice, clever chap you are. I had seen that pane before, but just could not get back to the PPPoE Options again for some reason. Have now "un-checked" the prompt box and hope that that is the end of it. If it does not appear again in the next 30 mins I will add a reply to sat that it has worked.

Many thanks.

OP
Colin Key
Reaction score
It has worked Brown Study - I am very grateful.

Kind regards,

Colin

P.S. The Forum is great and I think it is going to be very useful to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83 512 60
About connection time

Hey there, I had the same problem with my connection and the first time I`ve searched it I found the answer, its really neat and I am so greatfull! tks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.