Mac C2D got Extra RAM for free

Reaction score
Hi

I know this is a lame question but I have to ask this: ABout couple of weeks ago I bought a refurbished Macbook Core 2 Duo.... By defalt settings, it said 1GB of RAM and dont remember if there was an option to upgrade RAM. But, when I checked the System Information in ABOUT THIS MAC, it says I have 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I was wondering, could the system be screwing up and showing up extra ram by mistake or did I get lucky and Apple sent me extra ram for free...

Any suggestions people....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
this has been known to happen with some refurbs. consider yourself lucky. ;)

and welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
the original user of the computer probably upgraded it (or bought it new with more RAM) and Mac forgot to check when the computer was refurbished, Ill trade ya :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Free is the best kind!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Hi

I know this is a lame question but I have to ask this: ABout couple of weeks ago I bought a refurbished Macbook Core 2 Duo.... By defalt settings, it said 1GB of RAM and dont remember if there was an option to upgrade RAM. But, when I checked the System Information in ABOUT THIS MAC, it says I have 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I was wondering, could the system be screwing up and showing up extra ram by mistake or did I get lucky and Apple sent me extra ram for free...

Any suggestions people....

This happened to me as well - a nice surprise :)

Saved money buying the refurb - and then got something extra as well - Thanks very much Apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That would actually make me a little nervous about buying a refurb from Mac. In your case it worked out well, but it signals that they really don't any kind of inspection of the unit before they sell it to someone else. Might as well buy one off Ebay in that case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
That would actually make me a little nervous about buying a refurb from Mac. In your case it worked out well, but it signals that they really don't any kind of inspection of the unit before they sell it to someone else. Might as well buy one off Ebay in that case.

I wouldn't agree.

That's ASSUMING that the reason why the extra RAM is in the computer because they didn't check.

OP
A
Reaction score
hey guys.... frist i thought tht the system was screwing up by showing wrong information but then, installed iStat Pro widget and got the same thing so I think I should be happy then :)

Like the same with RNDdave, saved money on refurb plus, got $200 worth of ram for free.... wht more could somene ask for

Reaction score
Any chance they'll slip some extra RAM into my bag when I buy my MBP at the Apple store? You know...since they may be in a giving mood and all. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Any chance they'll slip some extra RAM into my bag when I buy my MBP at the Apple store? You know...since they may be in a giving mood and all. ;)

nice idea :D
but it wont happen because the ones in the apple store are standard retail versions. Want this soft of luck buy online

OP
A
Reaction score
maybe just ask them to 'accidentally' put in extra ram.... u never know.... ive gotten free donuts like tht from Tim Hortons ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.