• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD burning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
What file format can I put a movie in to be able to play in my DVD player that is hooked to my TV? I have looked in the manual and on the machine itself and I have not found anything about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Hallo my polish friend?!?
If you make a movie in i-dvd then this should also play in a stand alone dvd player. If you are downloading avi files you first have check your dvd player to see if it can play DIVX files. If so you can burn the avi files AS DATA not AS VIDEO onto a cd or dvd and these should play in your dvd player. if not you first have to convert the avi files to dvd format (vob) files. I am new to mac so I do not know if i-dvd can do this for you but there should be software that can do this for you. Keep searching the forums.

hope this helps a bit.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I ended up burning them as data as you said and it worked but I now need iDVD to make them as one piece because they are 2 parts that are supposed to be one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.