• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Woot - What is This?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I read the word "woot" all the time in these forums. I can guess from context that it is a general expression of enthusiasm, but where did it come from? Do people actually use this word in conversation, or is it like many IM forms such as ROTL, LMAO and so on - only used in electronic exchanges.

I guess I am just getting too old! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I read the word "woot" all the time in these forums. I can guess from context that it is a general expression of enthusiasm, but where did it come from? Do people actually use this word in conversation, or is it like many IM forms such as ROTL, LMAO and so on - only used in electronic exchanges.

I guess I am just getting too old! :dive:

for what its worth i think its ROTFL but who is keeping track? as far as I know its only used in electronic exchanges like the LMAO/LOL etc.. If it is used in actual conversations I have never heard anyone say "woot".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Only time I've seen somebody use woot is during online gaming, such as Counterstrike. I've seen it a bit on forum posts (not here, a different one I'm a member at), but that's about it. Never seen it in IM conversations.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks humfy. For the benefit of everyone else, from the Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woot) I pulled the following definition:

"w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.
So, I think that answers it! Now I understand!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I donno. But have you ever actually said "lol" as a word when someone said something funny, instead of laughing? ....me neither

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I donno. But have you ever actually said "lol" as a word when someone said something funny, instead of laughing? ....me neither

What?? I say LOL ouyt loud all the time! And other people laugh, so I figured they were laughing at what I thought was funny too!! I just thought only the kewlest, 1337 people say LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
And there darned well BETTER be loot, or the DM's kobold fodder. :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It's also a great website that sells one item per day at a very discounted price.

http://www.woot.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i find my self wanting to say lol in actualt person to perso converations. And i also say Woot out loud, as being extremly happy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro -- 2.8 Ghz Unibody (mid 2009); MacBook Air -- 2.13 Ghz, 128 GB SSD; 32 GB iPhone 3Gs
What is WOOT!!

I am not sure if this is what they are talking about but I visit this site on a daily basis, www.woot.com They have great daily deals.

Another great site is www.spoofee.com. Also have great deals as well!!

Reaction score
I've only seen "woot" in online gaming.

ROFL, ROTFL, ROTFLMAO all pre-date IMs by a decade or more and were first used back when Usenet was the way geeks talked about their computers. Ah, the good old days of comp.os.os2.advocacy ... This is also where terms like AFAIK and IMHO sprouted.

"LOL" to the best of my knowledge was started in AOL chat rooms by people who weren't hip enough to use Usenet or know about ROTFL. :ninja: This is also where the English language began its terminal decline by replacing two, too, and to with "2," you're & your with "ur," etc.

My wife sent me a text message last week that said "OMG!" I have no idea where she learned that but I made her promise never to do it again.

Reaction score
My wife sent me a text message last week that said "OMG!" I have no idea where she learned that but I made her promise never to do it again.

That's some funny stuff right there (I had to keep myself from typing "LOL" in this very instance).

The english language has taken a severe beating since the advent of instant messaging and cell phone texting. I wonder what the average high school term papers look like these days?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK ( *looks guilty* ) I admit that I "say" woot to myself - self speak if you will - when something really neat happens. I have never felt sure enough about how it is used outside of forums to say it publicly though. Maybe I will try now and see what happens!

Reaction score
Saying "woot" out loud is easier than saying pw3nd out loud, isn't it?

Someone needs to stand up right now (preferably if you are in an office environment) and yell out "WOOT!". Post back and let us know what the general response is. :black:

Reaction score
OK, I'm at work and I did it. My dog raised his head, looked at me for a second, and went back to sleep.

I work from home, though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
haha, those leet translators are fun to play with, but anybody who actually talks like that needs to go outside and get some freash air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
... ROFL, ROTFL, ROTFLMAO all pre-date IMs by a decade or more and were first used back when Usenet was the way geeks talked about their computers. Ah, the good old days of comp.os.os2.advocacy ... This is also where terms like AFAIK and IMHO sprouted.

comp.sys.sun.* and comp.sys.next.* for me (and rec.radio.shortwave, alt.music.progressive... but enough about how old I am).

I've been known to use "LOL" and "OMG" and various other internet-speak phrases in actual conversation. There's even an episode of Tiki Bar TV where they read an email and it brought on a conversation held in net-speak (Lala: "I am l33t hax0r2").

My fiancee is a big fan of the term "W00t" as used in conversation.

And don't get me started on my 15 year old daughter's speech habits. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.