Writers' Corner - Any Interest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
More than once I would have liked to post something in a Writers' Corner. At present none exists. While "General Discussions> Anything Goes" would certainly work, it's not quite the same as having an area dedicated to writing.

Might there be any interest in having something like a Writers' Corner under "Digital Lifestyle"? I could see a forum such as this being used for original fiction, essays, poetry, and general techniques used for writing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This sounds like an excellent idea mathogre, but is Mac Forums the right place for it? I am sure that there must be many, many excellent literary sites for this sort of thing. This is not a criticism, but rather a question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
What kind of information or questions would this sub-forum contain?

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This sounds like an excellent idea mathogre, but is Mac Forums the right place for it? I am sure that there must be many, many excellent literary sites for this sort of thing. This is not a criticism, but rather a question.
In the Digital Lifestyle area, various multimedia topics are discussed, with the ability to share creations. What is writing if not creative? What can/does the Mac do to enhance the creative process? I know I've used text-to-voice tools in the past for editing my writing. It's one thing to spell check and read silently; it's another to hear two two occurrences of a word that might have otherwise been missed.

Point is taken mac57 that there *are* various other literary sites. Also, M-F has been around for some time, and has done well w/o a Writers' Corner. I'll say this. I'll confess to being an utter social misfit, and yet find myself becoming comfortable at M-F. There are times I experience the desire to actually risk sharing written art with forum members.

What kind of information or questions would this sub-forum contain?
Well, as I suggested in my opening post, it could be used for original fiction, essays, poetry, and general techniques used for writing. That's my view. Maybe others have ideas as to how it might be used, hence this thread.

In the end, if there's no real call for such a subforum, it shouldn't be created. "Anything Goes" certainly works for the occasional writing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
I agree with mathogre, People are so comfortable in MAc-forums, and it is such a great forum, that it would be nice to have. And im sure there are many good writers on M-F. It would be a lot like the digital music sub catagory, you could tell how you associate your mac into your writing. Tell what apps you use and how your mac is helpful when writing.
I think its a wonderful idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW you should open the poles back up.

Reaction score
Hi mathogre. Publishing material of any sort on here isn't a good idea, for a few reasons: it's too easy to publish material on here, so it'll probably be published prematurely; once it's on here it can't be sold elsewhere, either for money or anything else; what would be the point? You've put time and effort into writing it, you owe it to yourself and the piece to send it out to a potential publisher, be it small press magazine or major publishing house.

Neither is there any value or worth in posting stuff on here and saying "this is what I've got so far, what do you think?" or "I've had this idea..." It's just not a good idea, really. The only people who have any right to comment on your material are your agent and/or editor, and your "Ideal Reader" (see below). If you don't have an agent or editor yet, then you just need to keep hitting the keys and sending stuff out.

However, discussion of technique, sources of raw material, potential markets, ways to approach publishers, using applications, etc, might be interesting, but should perhaps just be limited to this thread.

I'll start by saying the Scrivener is a wonderful writing app.

I'd secondly advise any beginning (or otherwise) writer to read On Writing by Stephen King – it's probably the most useful writing book any writer could ever hope to read. Inspirational, with real nuts and bolts stuff to boot. Want to know what you need in your writer's toolbox? Want to know who your Ideal Reader should be? Want to know the difference between writing with the door open and writing with the door closed? It's all in here.

Thirdly, start thickening your skin: the best thing about being a writer is being published. It's also the worst thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that guy kinda creeps me out....but he makes a good point.

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why?

1. He makes good sense.

2. He's a writer.

3. He's been published.

4. For money. ^_^

I just haven't had a chance to respond properly yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.