• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

proposal

Reaction score
I have an interesting proposal for americans planing to come to Croatia for their hollidays.

Since i live in Split , the 2nd most largest town in Croatia and a hub for tourists going further south to Dubrovnik or the islands Brač, Hvar, Lastovo, Korčula, i was thinking of this:

1.) you buy a macbook or a macbook pro with my desired specifications
2.) you wrap it in nice paper and on your flight to Croatia you bring it to me as a present.
3.) in return i reimburse you for the mac, pay you a nice meal and be your tourguide in Split.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
They don't allow you to make purchases from Apple in Croatia? That stinks.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, they do allow. It's Croatia not Cambodia :D (no offense to Cambodians) , but the real issue is the price.

For example MBP 17" in US is $2800, in Croatia it's $4300. you get the picture?

and some things like airline power cords are not included and upgrades like more ram, more HDD are simply not possible. and don't even get me started with Applecare :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You may get a better price that way, but what if it has problems? You can't very easily return it! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I worked at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for a while. A lot of people would come from South America during the winter for vacation. They would come with next to nothing for luggage, one of their first questions would be where the nearest elecnortics stores/malls were, and they would leave with more luggage than they could handle.

Basically, they would buy a ton of stuff, take it home and sell it since the prices down there are ridiculous. It was amazing how many laptop, music equipemtn, game console boxes we would throw away every week.

I've been a part of some similar action. I was in China for 6 months back just before they joined the WTO. Shops sold DVDs for about $1 each and I came home with about 150 in all. They would even be selling movies that just came out in the US the day before. Good quality bootlegs that must have been copied directly from the theater film, not a home video camera in the audience.

OP
B
Reaction score
You may get a better price that way, but what if it has problems? You can't very easily return it! :dive:

true, but with apple care and the warranty i think there shouldn't be any problems. one could even try it out and if it's ok bring it here. i don't mind :dive:

this isn't a plan on how to make money, i don't intend to sell the mac once i have it. i'm just trying to save some money. i was even thinking of flying to the US and back, but then i remembered that i would have to pay some huge customs fees so i scratched that plan. :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
true, but with apple care and the warranty i think there shouldn't be any problems. one could even try it out and if it's ok bring it here. i don't mind :dive:

this isn't a plan on how to make money, i don't intend to sell the mac once i have it. i'm just trying to save some money. i was even thinking of flying to the US and back, but then i remembered that i would have to pay some huge customs fees so i scratched that plan. :bone:

I didn't mean to say you would sell it. I just meant to point out there are big price differences in a lot of locations and it's interesting to see what people do to save the money. Obviously, due to my actions, I can't say it's wrong.

You wouldn't have to pay any customs. Just unpack the thing and use it as if you had brought it from home in the first place!

OP
B
Reaction score
I didn't mean to say you would sell it. I just meant to point out there are big price differences in a lot of locations and it's interesting to see what people do to save the money. Obviously, due to my actions, I can't say it's wrong.

of course not, i just wanted to point that out

You wouldn't have to pay any customs. Just unpack the thing and use it as if you had brought it from home in the first place!

ha ha, you really aren't familiar with Croatian customs. if you're a foreigner coming to Croatia you could bring a goat with you nobody would ask you anything, but if you are a Croatian returning from abroad they would even check your socks (kidding of course but you get the picture)

Reaction score
You might not get away with that even if returning to Canada from the States, especially with camera equipment and laptops. You need to keep the bills to prove they were purchased in Canada or register the serial numbers before leaving Canada. If you don't have proof and even if you did buy it in Canada, they'll hit you for the taxes, and a fine on top of that.

Years ago, a Canadian customs agent scanned the bottom of my car with a mirror, like it was East/West Berlin's Checkpoint Charlie. I asked why, and she said she wanted to see if I had bought a new exhaust system! Not a word about smuggling anything else. Tail pipes must be big business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
You might not get away with that even if returning to Canada from the States, especially with camera equipment and laptops. You need to keep the bills to prove they were purchased in Canada or register the serial numbers before leaving Canada. If you don't have proof and even if you did buy it in Canada, they'll hit you for the taxes, and a fine on top of that.

Years ago, a Canadian customs agent scanned the bottom of my car with a mirror, like it was East/West Berlin's Checkpoint Charlie. I asked why, and she said she wanted to see if I had bought a new exhaust system! Not a word about smuggling anything else. Tail pipes must be big business.

I agree. You may have to declare what you are bringing in even if it is your own merchandise (if it is over so much value, for e.g.). Then, you never know what will happen on the way out. Oooops! Where did all this cash came from? Oh no! I lost my laptop and I did not even notice it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.