Treo 700p...

Reaction score
Does anybody have one of these PDA phones?

I'm interested in getting one but I'm hearing horror stories about syncing with Mac.

Anybody?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
What, not waiting for the iPhone? You may be banned for being a heretic! :dive:

OP
C
Reaction score
What, not waiting for the iPhone? You may be banned for being a heretic! :dive:
From what I am hearing about the Treo 700p and syncing problems getting an iPhone my be the way to go. BUT, I want to do something now.
tantrum2.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its almost April, and iPhone comes out in June (I think). Three months. You can do it CrossBones. Take a deep breath and repeat after me... I can wait... I can wait .... I can wait... :dive:

OP
C
Reaction score
If nobody on this forum is using the Treo 700p than I think I have my answer.

It's probably not for mac users!

Reaction score
I just bought a Treo "P" and I love it. I have no problem syncing with my Mac Pro. The proper procedure is to invoke Apple iSync and then hit the hotsync button on the phone. It syncs my contacts and address book with no problem. I use the Documents-to-Go to load Microsoft Office files on the phone. Edits on the phone are synced with the Office documents on the Mac Pro with no problem.

You can load and use any Palm software and with the 2 or 4 gb SD cards you can load a large quantify of files or music as well.

As for the iPhone, it looks interesting but I am one of those tha never buys the first edition of anything and until they are available on Verizon it is just not for me.

Hope this helps.

OP
C
Reaction score
I just bought a Treo "P" and I love it. I have no problem syncing with my Mac Pro. The proper procedure is to invoke Apple iSync and then hit the hotsync button on the phone. It syncs my contacts and address book with no problem. I use the Documents-to-Go to load Microsoft Office files on the phone. Edits on the phone are synced with the Office documents on the Mac Pro with no problem.

You can load and use any Palm software and with the 2 or 4 gb SD cards you can load a large quantify of files or music as well.

As for the iPhone, it looks interesting but I am one of those tha never buys the first edition of anything and until they are available on Verizon it is just not for me.

Hope this helps.
WOW thanks for the information cipher.

Frankly I have researched this all over the Internet and you are the very first person that reports having 'no problems' with syncing especially using iSync. Are you able to sync with iCal which would be the best of all worlds? Any additional information you can pass along would be helpful. Also what about your email/ What's the story on that? (REP for you bro).

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I have had my 700P for about 6 months and i love it. I just got my Mac about two weeks ago and i still love it, works great.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have had my 700P for about 6 months and i love it. I just got my Mac about two weeks ago and i still love it, works great.
I'm encouraged.
smiley4.gif

How is the call quality? And are you able to sync with iCal? Can yo relate your experience with email and what client the Treo uses these days? I asked at the Sprint Store but they have very limited product knowledge. They basically are trained to operate the cash register and very little else. Especially when it comes to issues related to the mac.

Reaction score
WOW thanks for the information cipher.

Frankly I have researched this all over the Internet and you are the very first person that reports having 'no problems' with syncing especially using iSync. Are you able to sync with iCal which would be the best of all worlds? Any additional information you can pass along would be helpful. Also what about your email/ What's the story on that? (REP for you bro).

Thanks in advance.

I did find that iCal works best if you put the info in the Treo and then sync to iCal. This is especially true of multi-day events. There is a difference in the way that iCal and Palm handle them and the most data will show up if done in the sequence listed above. Tre doing it in reverse order and the difference will become readily apparent.

One thing I would not do again is have my phone numbers transferred from my old phone into the treo when it was activated. Just leave the phone blank and put all of the information in the Apple address book. It will sync much better that way. Again, the way the phone takes the data is a little different that the way the address book does and I found if much cleaner to do it this way. After getting it all setup it hasn't been a problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Man I went over to the Sprint Store again today to talk with them about the syncing issue and frankly NOBODY there has a clue regarding the entire issue. The employees there are just not knowledgeable and when you mention "mac" they look at you with the deer in the headlights look. Very frustrating.

Cipher, sounds like you have a good handle on how to sync this thing but frankly I'm not that comfortable with it and don't know all the in's and outs. In all the reading I have done online about syncing the Treo 700p you are the first one who has ever told me they have been successful syncing to iCal. So you're using iSync to sync to iCal?

Anyway having to rely on support from Sprint is just not felling very good. Palm support is completely useless. One of the worst experiences I have ever had is dealing with Palm support. In fact, now it's over in India...you do the math on that one!

I'm just skeptical I suppose. Going to spend that kinda of cheese on a smart phone and then have nothing but headaches isn't my idea of a good time. If they had any idea how to help me at the Sprint Store I might just do it but I have been to like three of them and it's always the same thing...pretty frustrating.

Thanks again for the input and help man. Appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[smug mode]

Crossbones, ready for that iPhone yet? :dive:

[/smug mode]

OP
C
Reaction score
http://discussion.treocentral.com/
Try this you will find all kinds of stuff, good and bad.
I've read a lot of stuff there. And, for the most part, everything I've read regarding the Treo 700p and the mac is not good especially with regards to syncing issues. That is why I was so shocked to hear two people telling me it's "no problem"...

I guess I'm just afraid to try it with all the negative feedback have read.

Reaction score
Yup, actually you will hear a lot of negative stuff about the phone itself and I understand that people have problems, I have not had a single problem with mine and I have a lot of 3rd party apps installed on mine. I love my 700P. I don't have any sync problems at all.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yup, actually you will hear a lot of negative stuff about the phone itself and I understand that people have problems, I have not had a single problem with mine and I have a lot of 3rd party apps installed on mine. I love my 700P. I don't have any sync problems at all.
OK, here goes...I am a total idiot. I'm not really sure why I want one of these Treo 700p's. Seriously. I went over to TreoCentral again and really I'm starting to wonder. How do people use their Treo and what's important?

Here is what I do with my Palm Currently:

1) Rather than carry around one of those 'DayTimers' I use my Palm handheld as a 'things to do device'. It has worked for me perfectly for years. I'm on my second one.

2) I have some contacts in the Palm but it's not complete because most of my contact information is in my email client (Entourage). So for email addys and stuff like that my Palm is useless right now. I have used the Palm Desktop software because it's the only thing that works -- again I have no idea.

What do I want to accomplish by getting the Treo 700p?

1) Have my phone and Palm in one device
2) Be able to retrieve my email while am on the road which is constantly.
3) Since it seems stupid to have two address books (one in my email an d one on my Palm) I'd like them to bed the same.

So what is it I need?

Also for those using the phone, how is the talk quality? That is the most important thing to me. I know a guy with a Blackberry and he sounds terrible every time I talk to him. I can't have that as I talk with clients all day long. Talk quality and best reception are key for me. I'm on the Sprint Network and have been for 10 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hi Bones!
I have the 700p... it is GREAT!. I use Snappermail for emails... I think the VersaMail built-in the 700p is terrible, and really slows the entire system down.
To sync with the Mac, the best software to use is Missing Sync. Let me know if you have any questions! :D

OP
C
Reaction score
Brotha RIDE is MIA the last couple of days.

I think I drove him nuts with questions about the Treo 700.
icon11.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.