• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you think of segregation/minority groups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
In January I started graduate school to get my MBA degree. One of the big aspects of this kind of graduate program is networking and interaction with peers to not only get through the program, but for future contacts as well. I get a lot of emails from the program with subjects stating a big peer metting/networking opportunity. Then when I read the message, find out they're usually only for a special group such as women, hispanics, african-americans and so on.

I've all but given up on the idea that one of these will be a gathering that I can be a part of, then I had a feeling of being shut out and missing out on opportunities that others have. Of course, this is the feeling that such minorities have had for generations, but it made me think that while they are positively offering opportunity to these people, are people like me, a white man, effectively being put at a disadvantage? It kind of seems that way. If it's true that networking is a key component of a degree program like mine and there are only networking opportunities for special groups, not only do I miss out of this key component, but these groups are being effectively segregated by each other by "locking themselves away" from other people.

I'm not actually significantly upset by this, nor am I advocating a movement/grouping of white men (there's already a group like that I don't even want to think about). I'm just mentioning this as an example of a more general social issue. Are these special groups effectively perpetuating segregation and putting themselves, and others, at a disadvantage.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I think anything like what you are describing is basically creating or reinforcing social barriers that may or may not already exist.

There is no need for this kind of segregation in any circumstance in my opinion.

In my experience; colour, sex, religion, age or sexual orientation is irrelevant.

Just an opinion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think anything like what you are describing is basically creating or reinforcing social barriers that may or may not already exist.

There is no need for this kind of segregation in any circumstance in my opinion.

In my experience; colour, sex, religion, age or sexual orientation is irrelevant.

Just an opinion.

Agreed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I can grok the situation. I live by a couple tenets.

1. My only concern is me. I don't worry about other groups or other individuals, except when they are real competition. I need to be the best in my field. I'm a programmer/analyst in r&d. If Group "A" wishes to get together and be "A-ish", fine. I've got work to do and things to learn.

2. The marketplace works. If you're good, you'll rise to the top. If you're not, you won't. That's not to say there aren't inequities, some random, some fiat. Mostly though it works and it corrects itself pretty well.

I work with a rather international group of people and have done so over the years. My company has people who were born from all over the world. For example, on my hall alone we have people from Japan, Mexico, UK, Argentina, Vietnam, and Israel. We have black people and white people, women and men. Gay, lesbian, transgendered, and probably bisexual. We had a transsexual down the hall transition. Doesn't much matter. If they can't do the job they won't last. Likewise, if they can do the job, no one cares who or what they are. Frankly I can't think of one of them who hasn't earned their place, though I've seen some in the past and will see more in the future. They don't last.

Frankly, my worst threat is young people. The Kids. People with fresh ideas and fresh skills straight from college or university. In my work, one can become obsolete very quickly. If I don't keep up, I'm out. It's competition and it's good. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Good tenets to live by, mathogre. They make sense to me.

And yeah, those meddling kids (and their dogs) always keep the *older folk from "getting away with it".

Just an opinion.
Again, I agree with this. As callous as it sounds, I think that in the present day, many minorities bring the stereotypes and prejudice on themselves. Programs like you describe only serve to widen the racial, gender, and social gaps.
While I will admit that there is still bigotry and racism today, many will whip out the "minority card" when things don't seem to go their way, even when their "minority status" has nothing to do with it.
It isn't about race, creed, gender, orientation, or any of that. It is about being a productive and successful human being. You either measure up to the task, or you don't.

(*older only by years, age is a state of mind, not a measurement of years :black: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well it's a form of "positive discrimination" which alot of people would argue has the negative effect rather than the positive. I personally feel that separating people on any basis is ridiculous.

The way I see it is the more different types of people that you socially interact with the big benefit it is to you, if you keep yourself constrained within one group you'll never be able to see the other side of the coin. Therefore the creativity, inspiration, knowledge and more will take a hit because of that, because you lack the alternative perspective as you would of never experienced it, or at least not on a prolonged basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
some people are offended when you say "i dont see you as (insert any coulour, sex, age, race)". One of my close friends is a first nation. and he would rather people acknowledge his background rather then saying he is like everyone else.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
2. The marketplace works. If you're good, you'll rise to the top. If you're not, you won't. That's not to say there aren't inequities, some random, some fiat. Mostly though it works and it corrects itself pretty well.

Not true, not 100% true. In my short time in the workforce, I have witnessed (and at least once been a part of) many instances of the "it's not what you know, it's who you know" way of doing business. It's dirty, but true. It varys depending on the kind of work. I'm sure in something as objective and determinable as programming you skills bring you more or less credit. But in management it more difficult to judge that someone is the right fit for a job; it's more subjective.

So in situation likes that, or almost any situation, you will "go with that (or who) you know. Or maybe someone you know and trust who knows someone. That's where the positive spin on the whole thing, called "networking" comes into play. The more you sell yourself out there and make yourself known, the better opportunities you have. It's not necessarily bad, it's just the way of things.

That's the basis for my above comment. Today I got a message about a networking opportunity for "Black MBA students" and local business leaders. At first I thought, " what would they discuss that a person of a different color could not participate in?" Hopefully, in a civilized society, nothing. then I thought, "if a guy allowed in that meeting and I are both up for a job and we're both the same competitively, and the hiring manager happens to have met the other guy at this meeting, who is he going to hire?"

So, that's my issue. I've missed a netowkring opportunity due to my race that, degisned to create opportunity, could cost me the opportunity of a future job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.