• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

student discount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
Good Morning,
I have been accepted into the college and I start in july. I know I qualify for a student discount, but my mother will be the one doing the purchasing with her bank... Can I receive the discount if she is the one buying?
I have letters from the school if that helps.

Thanks,
Mario

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Just show up with the letters and your mom (and her purse) and you shall be discounted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Coincidentally, while I was purchasing my MBP on discount, a family wasin the store with your situation where the parents were purchasing for their daughter and getting the discount too. Nice parents: got her a new MBP, Cinema display, iSight, printer, and iPod!

I didn't even need paperwork when I got the discount, I just signed in to my email account for the school as proof that I was a student.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Honestly, Im an advocate AGAINST buying through Apple. If you get the student discounts, the price after taxes is similar to the original price w/out taxes (maybe about $50-$75 cheaper) .

I recommend buying your mac from an AUTHORIZED reseller like MacMall. Macmall normally offers a rebate (around $150) for your purchases . Macmall doesnt charge sales tax either.

So in the end, youll end up paying almost regular price buying from Apple with the discount, but yoll end up saving much more buying from macmall and using the rebate. Heck, the price of a Mac from MacMall BEFORE the rebate is very close to the price of a Mac from the Apple store AFTER the discount.

Reaction score
Good Morning,
I have been accepted into the college and I start in july. I know I qualify for a student discount, but my mother will be the one doing the purchasing with her bank... Can I receive the discount if she is the one buying?
I have letters from the school if that helps.

Thanks,
Mario

It's fine. My iMac goes through Apple finance which is through my mothers bank account as I wasn't old enough to have finance from the company Apple use.

As part of the discount they require you send off proof of enrolment and/or student card. Simple as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
lol..............no sales tax in my place

You're probably not from the US, right?

Its US law to charge sales tax on a website if the company has a business license in that state (or something like that, just ask one of the associates in the online chat in apple's online store). Apple seems to have a license in each state because of their chain of retail stores. :(

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
Thanks for the information guys!
Ninjab3ar, thanks for the break down owe you big time!

Reaction score
You're probably not from the US, right?

Its US law to charge sales tax on a website if the company has a business license in that state (or something like that, just ask one of the associates in the online chat in apple's online store). Apple seems to have a license in each state because of their chain of retail stores. :(

yes, I'm from Hong Kong. It is one of the few places in the world that doesn't have sales tax. Cheapest place to buy electronics, I just love the low prices:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.