• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Returning my MacBook

nef

Reaction score
Unfortunately due to circumstances dealing with the delivery of my laptop has led me return it for good. It is very sad because I actually like the operating system and the community but I cannot deal with replacing another one. The first macbook had scratches all over it, the current macbook which was replaced is a 2 gig ram and 2 gig process which takes firefox approximately 50 "bounces" on the dock to open. Using shapeshifter a window will take forever to open. When configuring the macbook (using it for the first time,) I got the beachball for about five minutes when choosing my timezone. I can't deal with paying $1400 for a (2 gig ram!!) computer which takes so long to load.

I can't deal with having them replace another one and having it turn out bad again, and am thinking of just getting an ibm thinkpad for school.
Thank you all for the help. I hope my next desktop will be a mac though.

Do you guys know any pc computers that look as good as the mac lol?

T

todd51

Do you guys know any pc computers that look as good as the mac lol?

The "goodness" of the mac in my opinion is the OS. That's what makes a mac so nice.

Not going to lie, the prettiness of the machines helps.

I'm sorry your going through so much trouble with Apple. I have never heard of anyone having this much trouble with a laptop.

As for your questions, I always liked Acer and Sony laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There is a Sony laptop which looks near identical to a Macbook, though it being Sony, you'll end up paying far more for it than you did for your Macbook :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Yeah, the Sony VAIO N10 looks quite a bit like the MacBook.

sony_n10_1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If I were buying a Windows-based laptop today, I would get an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad. They are the most robust laptops I've ever used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yeah, the Sony VAIO N10 looks quite a bit like the MacBook.

sony_n10_1.jpg

I am amazed that Apple hasn't been able to sue over infringement of their design on this one. It is nearly identical! Sony should be ashamed of themselves. Just one man's opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
pay £2000 and you can have a blue ray drive :D
look
The design is nice, but way to much

and for the OS X look there are many themes / patches
list

Hope this helps

If you are looking for a cheaper laptop try looking at
ibm, dell, medion etc

Or if you want performance
Alienware
Alienware make some of the best performance pc's available
you could always build your own if you feel up to it
Ebuyer and Over clockers

Reaction score
If I were to buy another pc laptop, I would go with Sager. My last Sager was very well built and traveled well with me. Their customer service is quite excellent, too. I played a lot of games on it and it did a pretty good job with most of the latest games. I would heartily recommend Sager as a Windows laptop.

Too bad you've had trouble with the Macbook, but there are probably tons of stories you can find online with people who had similarly endless troubles with even the best brands of pc notebooks. You seem to have had just a run of bad luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
i use an IBM (lenovo) at work and have found it to be a very reliable piece. I have never had good luck with anything made by Dell.

Neil M.

OP
N

nef

Reaction score
If I were buying a Windows-based laptop today, I would get an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad. They are the most robust laptops I've ever used.

My friend is telling me to get the lenovo thinkpad. One thing though, do they come with cd/dvd drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Get a PPC Laptop. Such as a PowerBook or iBook.

This way you don't have to deal with Rosetta.

Unless you just absolutely have to have Windows... Then just get a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
One thing though, do they come with cd/dvd drives?

Most of them do. Only the tablet and the ultra-portable Thinkpad need a docking station for optical drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Get a PPC Laptop. Such as a PowerBook or iBook.

This way you don't have to deal with Rosetta.

Unless you just absolutely have to have Windows... Then just get a PC.

There is virtual pc for ppc's
virtual pc

However I would use bootcamp or parallels

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.