Looking for Mac

Reaction score
I'm currently a PC user - sorry. However I'm looking for my first Mac and I'm not sure what I want in terms of spec.

I mainly use my PC for home studio music production and digital imaging but I've had mixed comments about how much better Mac perform than PCs. I know that Mac will always out perform a like PC but what sort of spec am I looking for to get good performace. I will not need this to go surfing or anything but I would want a laptop. Any advice?

:dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
What kind of recording do you do? Typically how many tracks etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've had mixed comments about how much better Mac perform than PCs. I know that Mac will always out perform a like PC
This is simply not true.
No machine outperforms the other. As far as operating systems go, Windows and Mac are theoretically equals. Neither one is "better" than the other.
The "outperforming" comes more from the user end of things.... personal preference... skill, talent, and aptitude... which machine works better for that particular user, and how that user utilizes his aforementioned skill and talents with said machine. This is why you have received "mixed reviews" and why you always will when you ask that question. Everyone works differently and everyone will have their own opinion.
You aren't as likely to receive an unbiased view on the matter.

Yes, some machines are built with more options, depending on what they will be used for. The "Pro" line of Macs is (more often than not) much more than any average user would need as far as power and options are concerned. That is why there is the consumer line (MacBooks, iMacs). These machines are not crippled, dumbed down, worthless, or otherwise simplified computers. They are simply made for the every day, average computer user.
The average user won't need to run Adobe Creative Suite apps, Final Cut Pro, Macromedia/Adobe Studio apps, AfterEffects, Motion, Maya, and any other professional-level software.
The average user would be fine with the 'Express' or 'Lite' versions of those programs, and those versions would run just fine on a consumer-line machine.

So, to get back to your question, what applications do you use and what do you plan on doing with the computer?
You mentioned music production and digital imaging. Is this your profession or a hobby? What applications do you use for those things now?
What setup do you have now and does it do all that you need it to do for you currently?

OP
Scooby
Reaction score
It does okay, but I have problems with things freezing. I have a reasonable set up (2.6Ghz Althlon, with a 120Gb HD and 1gig of RAM). Sadly I didn't get good guidance and I use a Creative soundcard - oops!!

As for my software I'm using XP as my platform and generally use Cubase SX2 for my softstudio so to speak and a few different VST's. I also use Soundforge for my wave editing, but people have been telling me that Logic is pretty much the same format as Cubase but better. I've tried 5 on PC and didn't like it but who knows.

I get audio into the machine by using a V-amp for both bass and electric guitar but acoustics and voices are put in dry - everything goes through a little 8 track mixer and then into the soundcard. Midi is put in through a controller keyboard - I use the M-Audio O2 cos it's small and only has half depth key pushes - brilliant idea!

As for imaging - my other half uses Photoshop CS currently.

And sorry, both are hobbies. Although I am very very keen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Sounds like (heh, get it?) your needs might be handled fine with a Macbook and GarageBand. Or at least my brother-in-law's needs are being handled just fine with his Macbook, and he's a hobbiest musician who is finding that the Macbook's built-in audio (and software) capabilities will be serving him well for his own music productions. Perhaps I will check with him to see if he's had time to lay down some tracks with his instruments/equipment.

As for performance/$$$ issue, the Macbook specs compare quite nicely with a similarly sized and equipped Windows computer, but with all the software that makes a Mac perfect for audio/visual work on a hobby scale at the same or a cheaper price. If you're going to start getting fancy (as in Studio fancy) then the Pro is where you're going to want to look. Right now, however, it seems as though it's the graphics (3D graphics that is) department that the Pro has it over the Macbook. Otherwise, the Macbook has portability in its favor with all of the capabilities to produce good audio and graphic images at a good budget price point.

OP
Scooby
Reaction score
So maybe I will compare the two Macbooks then. I've used Garageband before briefly but unfortunately it's a bit limited. Do you know if it comes as part of the bundled software when you buy a Mac as every one I've looked at in shops seems to have it on.

Also, connectivity. How do Mac work in terms of soundcards, latency etc etc? I can get around a 2ms delay on mine which is not too bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.