Its here!

Reaction score
My MB is here. :) I got a bit upgraded version. 2.0 processor, 1G ram, etc. The Linux switchers guide has really made things easier. There are some things to get used to. Like the menu for an app being at the top of the entire screen instead of connected to the window (not sure I really LIKE that but I'll adjust).

Got a few apps downloaded to try and getting settings changed how I like.

One thing I've done that I'm not sure if its "bad practice":

To make it easier to find apps I put the Applications folder down on the dock. Cool, but the list was really long an hard to deal with. So I went through the folder and added organizing folders, moved all the apps into folders like "Internet Apps", "Office Tools", "Photo Editing", etc. This makes sense to me from a PC standpoint. Not sure if I'm doing osmeting I"ll regret later with the Mac. (Props to Mac all of my dock shortcuts still know where to find their applications after the move. That surprised me!)

Just have one problem with iTunes, posted a question over on that part of the forum about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
Congrats! :black:

M

MacHeadCase

Using HimmelBar takes the applications folder and puts it in the menubar. Although in your case, it might not be a good idea as a laptop's menubar is seriously rare screen real estate.

If you put the folder on the trash side of the dock separator you're good to go. It only creates an alias to the folder and won't mess up anything. If you put the folder on the left side of the dock separator, then your folder will disappear on each start up/restart, I think.

Oh and congratulations! Post pics if you can! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
congrats . post some pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
hope your mac book serves you well
comand - esc launches front row is you dont have your remote :)
post some pics
did u get the black or white 1

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
Its white, just didn't see the need to pay extra for the black. And its a Mac, they sorta supposed to be white. ;)

Yeash it does get a bit warm doesn't it. I will need some sort of lapdesk before summer hits or it'll be quite uncomfortable. So far the only thing my old Dell monster (BIG) has it beat at, that thing ran very cool.

Yes, I put the Application's folder on the right side of the divider (with trash). Seems to be working out well. And so far organizing the Applications into subfolders seems to have harmed nothing. Yeah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
Brill!

Congrats on your new MB. Have fun

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
And so far organizing the Applications into subfolders seems to have harmed nothing.

It could though. As the system might try looking for one of those apps, and if its not in the normal place, it could panic.

M

MacHeadCase

Oh so I misread your post! You reorganized the Applications folder into sub-folders? It'll slow down your system way too much and like Stretch says, the system will look for them in one place but you put them in nested folders. Not a good idea at all.

Use HimmelBar in that case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Congrats! Nice choice you made, let us know how you're loving it! Agree with MHC, the HimmelBar will work great for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
In an ideal world, you should be able to put your apps anywhere you please (Except the Trash) and still use them. Most apps will indeed work fine this way; I wouldn't mess with anything in the Utilities folder, though.

You might also just create a folder full of aliases to your applications and put that into your Dock, instead of the actual Apps folder. You could organize that any way you want.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for that hint on the Himmelbar!!! Never heard of it but it is just what I need!

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome! I also switched over from Linux (Linspire) last year. Which flavor did you use in Linux?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome tandaina!
don't rule out spotlight either, just start typing the name of an app you want to launch and presto. plus it's built in and always running anyway, so you're not adding the overhead of another program to do what finder and spotlight already do.

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
Let see, I use Redhat/Slackware/Gentoo at work.

At home I mostly ran Mandrake.

Well I go the Apps thing figured out. Basically anything you can install by dropping into Applications doesn't seem to give a dang where it lives. These are what I will now call well behaved applications and I love the idea of keeping everything an app needs all wrapped up in a nice little package. So much easier to not end up with random files left over on an uninstall.

Its things like iTunes that use an actual installer that don't take to getting moved. However the HimmelBar pretty much solved that issue so no need to move them around now anyway. :)

(Any other writers thinking of switching OMG Scrivener is worth it for that app alone. I am in LOVE.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.