How Do I Highlight Entire Web Address?

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
I am a brand new switcher (got my black MacBook today). It seems in Windows Internet Explorer if the cursor is at the end of a web address in the browser you can highlight the entire address in order to replace it with just keystrokes. So far, in both Safari and Firefox I cannot figure out how to replace the current web address without backspacing over the entire address. Is there a shortcut key to do this?

Thanks,
Mark
:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Either drag your mouse over all of the address... or you can just click on the 'favicon' at the left of the address.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
If I click 3-4 times (quickly) in the web address bar it highlights the whol address for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
leopard macbook pro 17" | ipod touch
Usually i triple click and it highlights everything in the URL, or i click once to get my cursor in the URL box then keystroke apple+A to highlight all of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple+L highlights the entire address bar for both Firefox and Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
you can click three times quickly and it will highlight, but if you go to your mouse settings in system pref. you can adjust the sensitivity, so on mine I click twice not to quick and it highlights the whole thing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I usually click the 'favicon' as DB suggested, or if you click the very edge of the box it will highlight the whole address. By "the very edge" I mean where your cursor changes from the "text cursor" to the arrow. Of course its much easier to click that big ol' icon next to the address but this way works with search boxes on websites too.

Reaction score
I didn't know about that Favicon trick as I call it! It's very handy to know!

M

MacHeadCase

Or you can click somewhere in the URL, do Command (or Apple key) + A, to select all, then do Command (or Apple key) + C to copy.

If you want to save the URL to your desktop, just grab the link in the address bar and drag and drop it on the desktop: it will become a weblock file. So, if you want to go back to the same address one day (but didn't want to save it as a bookmark), you simply drag that weblock file in Safari's address bar and it will go back to that address you saved in the file.

OP
M

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Without clicking on the url you can just use apple+L followed by apple+C then you can paste it anywhere with apple+V

Reaction score
. . . .I cannot figure out how to replace the current web address without backspacing over the entire address. . . .
Many of Firefox's configuration settings can be found and changed, usually with only one click, by typing "about:config" (without the quotes) in the URL strip and hitting return.

After doing so, paste or type this

browser.urlbar.clickAtEndSelects

into the filter strip and hit return. This will isolate that setting. Double-click it to change it to true.

And with Firefox, if you are more used to highlighting the URL anywhere within it by using a single click instead of three, paste or type this into the filter:

browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll

and double-click it to change it to true.

This Mozillazine page has a link to the Knowledge Base that has info on the about:config preferences. Click on "Search the Knowledge Base" under "Looking for Help." Then type about:config in the search box.

All the about:config preferences can be changed by creating a user.js file in the same profile folder as the prefs.js file, or by changing the prefs.js file when Firefox isn't running. If it's running when you make changes to the prefs.js file, they won't stick. The Mozillazine site has articles about all of these.

You can also type about plugins (it needs a colon after the word about, but this posting box changes about(colon) to a smiley), and for a chuckle, about:mozilla (there is much history behind about:mozilla scattered around the web).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.